‟ INCONVENIENCE „

˗ˏˋ 'ˎ˗

Tate didn't mean to sit in on Rebecca's meeting with Edwin Akufo, but the billionaire just so happened to enter the club owner's office alongside Ted while she was in the middle of girl talk with Keeley, Rebecca, and Higgins.

And she was far too nosy to leave when the meeting had started.

It had been a fairly boring meeting, admittedly, as Rebecca cut to the chase and assured him that she wasn't interested in selling the club.

"Oh, I'm not trying to buy your club," Edwin said plainly, and Tate shot a curious look to Keeley, who she stood beside. "I'm interested in buying one of your players. Sam Obisanya."

Tate felt her heart jump at the possibility of losing her best friend—especially since she had barely spoken to Jamie in the few days since the funeral.

Not that she hadn't tried. But Jamie had been dodging her, wanting to avoid the inevitable confrontation as much as she did.

"But Rebecca loves Sam," Keeley blurted, earning pointed looks from both Rebecca and Tate.

"Yeah, we all love Sam," Ted added, not understanding the true meaning behind Keeley's words.

"Exactly,"

"Also, Sam is under contract with us for another three years." Higgins explained, and Tate felt herself breathe a little easier.

"Yes, I understand." Edwin grinned in a way that told her he might've understood, but he definitely didn't care. "Therefore, I would offer you a generous transfer fee of so much money that people would think I'm crazy and you've taken advantage of me, in a financial, non-sexual way, of course."

"I believe he's making you an offer you can't refuse," Higgins added, clearly uncomfortable.

"Oh, Godfather, I see you." Ted pointed out the reference, and Tate caught her bottom lip between her teeth.

"Well, I'm refusing an offer he can't make." Rebecca denied, though Tate knew better to get her hopes up.

"Is that a quote from the third movie?" Ted murmured, leaning closer to Edwin, who shook his head in response.

"I just have one question," Keeley redirected the conversation, something Tate was grateful for. "What club is it that you actually own?"

"Oh, I don't. At least, not one I can talk about yet. But it is a team in Africa, and I figured that Sam might appreciate the opportunity to play near his family. You know, his home." Edwin smiled, then turned his attention to Tate, who shifted her weight on her feet under his stare. "You are Tatum Greene, correct? I recognize you from quite a few of Sam's social media posts, so you must be good friends. Is this an opportunity you believe that he would enjoy?"

Tate paused, hating that she knew the answer so simply.

"Yes," She grit out, managing to sound somewhat pleasant. "Family is very important to Sam. But so is his family here."

"Yes, but, nothing is important as blood,"

"Some might not agree with you," Tate's voice was sickly sweet, and she considered herself one of those disagreeing few. She had picked her Richmond family over her parents, time and time again.

"Well, gosh dang it," Ted interrupted, cutting the tension that had unwittingly fallen over of the room. "Now I wish we had two Sams, you know? One for y'all and one for us. Where are we at with cloning these days, by the way? Them Scottish folks have been mighty quiet on that front for a while, which means they gotta be close, right?"