The girl with the silent smile

Summary: she doesn't talk, she doesn't laugh, she listens and nods. But mostly, mostly she smiles, it's what Regulus likes about her, her smile, she never told him her name, so he just called her, the girl with the silent smile. He talked to her, she listened, when he couldn't talk, she waited, she waited without complaining.

Regulus Black x reader

Idea: so, I had this idea because I work in a coffee shop and I have a regular client who always calls me "the girl with the silent laugh" I changed it to smile, as I thought it was a wonderful title and then decided to make this story of it.

She/her pronounce

Warnings: mentions of death and murder, mention of cutting of a body part.

Regulus sighed as he was finally done with his classes for the day. As he wondered what he could do, he remembered the girl he met not long ago.

She hadn't spoke to him yet, but she listened and gave him a soft smile as he spoke. She was always at the same place, the seventh floor at the big window.

No one ever came there. People said it to be haunted, which Regulus thought was ridiculous because the entire school was haunted with ghosts, who -mostly- where kind and polite.

Though, people said the place was haunted in a bad way, two boys had almost died many years ago after breaking the glass, they said the thing attacking them was invisible. Ten years later a group of students dared to come there but as nothing happened, they painted on the wall and three escaped but one was badly injured and had to go to St. Mungos.

But it's where he had found her, over and over again, whenever he would come, she would be there, smiling at his arrival.

And just like every other time, she looked up at the sound of his food steps. He smiled at her and she gave him one back. "Good afternoon." He greeted, she gave a small nod in return.

"It surprised me that you always manage to be here whenever I am. I never see you anywhere else, what house are you in anyway?" He asked, yet she didn't answer, of course.

"Right, still no talking, shall I just talk then?" He asked and she nodded. He started telling stories, ignoring the cold he felt, as he started to get used to it, assuming it was because of winter and sitting near a window.

He told her about his day, about professor Binns being annoying as ever and about Barty jumping out of the window with charms 'to test if Wingardium Leviosa could make him fly' he had later told Regulus and Evan.

She had the brightest smile when Regulus told her this and she made a small noice, it's sounded like a giggle. She quickly stopped and he gave her an amused look.

She looked down a bit embarrassed and he chuckled slightly. "No need to be embarrassed, it was rather cute." He said and her cheeks flushed red.

He grinned and continued the story. She paid close attention and he suddenly noticed her eyes drifted to something behind him.

"Mister Black, Miss L/n." Nearly headless Nick greeted, she gave him a polite nod and Regulus flashed him a quick smile.

"L/n? Is that your last name?" He asked and she nodded. "Well it gives me at least one clue." He sighed and nearly headless Nick chuckled.

"I see you befriended dear Y/n here, no one ever talks to her, I think she likes you." He said. "You know her?" Regulus asked.

"Oh yes, she's been here for centuries." Nick nodded. "Centuries?" Regulus frowned and then looked at Y/n. "She's dead?" He realised and Nick nodded while the girl just looked sad.

"Yes, poor thing was murdered, it was believed she was killed by her own brothers after she had refused their needs. They cut out her tongue before they did it." Nick shook his head in sadness and disgust.

"But- but you look so... Alive." Regulus said, not realising it might be a bit offending. The girl just shrugged and suddenly turned transparent. "I didn't know ghosts could do that." Regulus pointed out.

"Most can't, no, but few are able to, her being one of them." Nick told him.

Regulus didn't think anything different of the girl and continued to visit her over the years he spent at school. He had talked about his home life, and when he got the dark mark, he showed her and she had comforted him the best she could as he sobbed.

Sometimes, she left her place on the seventh floor to visit him wherever he might be at that moment.

On his last day he had also come. "I came to say goodbye." He told her and her smile dropped. "I promise to visit you, I'll come back the moment the dark Lord is defeated." He whispered softly.

She nodded and gave him a smile, a last smile. It was not happy, as it was most of the times, this time it was sad, though still hopeful as he had promised to come back to her.

Regulus thought back to this interaction as he stood at the Cliffs Of Moher. He hadn't gone back, he had promised he would come back.

He took a deep breath in and stepped inside, Kreacher close by him. He would make it out alive, he would visit her.

She waited for him, she supposed it would take a while, but months turned into years and years turned into decades.

Sir Nickolas had told her to stop waiting. "He died, Y/n dear. It's all over the daily prophet and big news, even around the school." He explained, yet, she believed Regulus would come back, because he had promised he would, and Regulus, he never broke his promises.

She lost track of how long it had been as she sat at the window, looking outside and seeing the students make their way across the ground. Pushing each other and laughing. Hurrying to classes and clutching books to their chests.

Some chased their pets that had run away, some followed each other around, others preferred to keep to themselves, always keeping themselves small and their head low.

Yet, this was not what Y/n was looking for. No she was looking for the black haired Slytherin, though he'd probably be older then she remembered. She never lost hope that he'd return, she always believed he'd come back, just like he had told her he would.

She was still waiting, her hopes getting higher and higher as weird things happened at Hogwarts, she heard whispers of Voldermort and a boy named Harry Potter.

Potter... she had heard that name before. Regulus had mentioned it when he talked about his brother, about how much he missed his brother and how jealous he was of that Potter boy.

Soon, the story was that Voldemort had returned. Y/n noticed that suddenly, there where less students on the grounds. And which students there where, most of them weren't so happy as they once where, she never saw someone travel alone anymore, they where always together, and pets, they where never on the run anymore as the kids kept a closer eye on them.

Students who where normally happy and giddy, where now sad and worn out. Some students disappeared. Only a day ago she had seen two girls sobbing as they walked past.

'That's weird' she had thought to herself. 'Where is their other friend? They where always with the three of them...'

It was late as Y/n watched the grounds, a few birds had landed. Exploring the large grass field.

Suddenly she heard sobbing and she turned to the source of the sound and saw a boy, he was a bit older then when Regulus had just found her, he had blonde hair and grey eyes -which where full of tears- he frowned a bit at her and then narrowed his eyes.

"Who are you?" His voice was demanding. It reminded her of the time Regulus found her sitting alone. "And who are you supposed to be?" He had questioned in a sceptical tone of voice.

She gestured the boy to sit down, supposing inviting him to sit with her at the window was the best option, to watch the students- or well, birds at the moment- and to talk to her.

He introduced himself as Draco Malfoy,

She smiled at him.