Prologue

"Heyy sweetie."

The voice sent a chill down my spine. It was calm, and smooth, but also cold and menacing as a snake. I recognise the voice. It's him. His voice stabbed my chest relentlessly. I bite my lip until it bleeds, gasping for air, as the memories we once painted together drown me in a wave of nostalgia. I didn't recognise him anymore but I have a duty to do so I  typed frantically just to track him down.

"Honey it's of no use," he chuckled. The warm chuckle, that had once melted her heart now froze it with terror.

I shivered as he spoke, his words sending electric shocks through my spine. I clutched my phone tightly, as if it was a lifeline.

"Who are you?" I croaked, my voice breaking with tears. I pounded the keys on my laptop, hoping to find a trace of him, but all I heard was his mocking laugh. My laptop screen turned black for a second, plunging me into darkness. I gasped, feeling a surge of panic.

"Don't you know me? You always looked adorable when you gave me that surprised look."

"A video call? Finally want to reveal yourself huh?" I tried to put on the brave face.

"Answer the call sweet pea. I want you to meet someone"

With trembling hands I answered the call but, as soon as I did...My eyes widened, "Ji ho!"

She was dressed in a white gown and a veil, like a bride on her wedding day. But instead of a groom, she had red roses around her, like blood on snow.

"Just hold on, we'll be there in any minute? Nothing will happen to you"

I try calling others but he has hacked my phone too, erased all of my contacts.

"Don't play games with me. I don't like games."

I felt a surge of fear and anger as I heard his words. How did he get my number? How did he know my name? How did he know where I worked? What did he want from me? Was he going to kill me next? Or worse?

I was a forensic scientist who worked for the National Forensic Service in Seoul. I was one of their youngest and brightest members, and I had earned a reputation for being smart, diligent, and passionate about my job. I had been assigned to the case of the serial killer who had been killing young women and leaving red roses beside their bodies. He is my nemesis, my challenge, my obsession.

And he is my lover.

"I have a surprise for you, Anna", he cooed , "And I know you'll come rushing into my arms this time". 

"For heaven's sake let her GO!" 

There was a click, and I saw Ji Ho's eyes begging for mercy. Her hands struggling to be freed. I sat there, watching her begging for her life and I could do nothing. 

I screamed as I saw Ji Ho's lifeless body on the screen, dressed in a white gown and surrounded by red roses. How could he do this to her? How could I love him?

But I had no choice. He had left me a message that changed everything

...