9. wet hair

one week later

one week later

juhee
would you like to visit dad with me?
tomorrow marks 5 years.
read 3:47 pm

•••

"juhee, take a bite of this. you have to try it," mari said, holding a chocolate croissant up to her face.

the girl's eyes focused on the wall behind mari, jiung, and jongseob. her eyesight went blurry, her thoughts occupying any other sense at that moment. intak sat next to juhee and looked at her with his eyebrows arched into a worried 'u'.

he touched her shoulder gently, bringing her back to the group.

"hellooo, juhee. hello, hello, hello," mari sang, waving the treat back and forth in front of her.

"are you okay?" intak questioned.

she blinked her eyes three times and rubbed them, then shook her head. "sorry, i don't know what's up with me right now."

"we were just talking about the upcoming cw club meeting, so you're not missing anything exciting. oh, and here," mari told juhee, then ripped off a piece of the croissant to give to her. "eat up. i hear your stomach grumbling."

she took the croissant from mari but placed it on the napkin in front of jiung. his expression grew more worrisome, but she smiled it off. jongseob's arm reached over mari to grab it, his eyes widening while he prepared to eat it.

jiung's hand grasped around the boy's wrist to stop him, and suddenly they were stuck in a tense hold.

"hey... i, uh, just wanted a small bite, hyung."

"it's juhee's, seob," he told him firmly.

"ji, it's okay. he can have it, i don't mind," she said, taking jiung's hand off of his younger brother's. he looked out of it, and his face and actions showed it clearly.

"i'm gonna step away for a minute," he told the group. "actually, i think i need to catch the train home. i just need some time alone for a bit."

they all murmured awkward, quiet goodbyes to the boy, feeling unsure of why he was acting the way he was. he never showed his emotions, so it was no doubt out of the ordinary.

juhee stared at him as he walked away with his bag but couldn't fight off the urge to follow him, although he had mentioned that he wanted to be alone.

"what's in the air today? why is everyone being so weird?" jongseob asked, chewing the croissant.

"beats me," mari sighed, shrugging.

her phone's lock screen shined in front of her after getting a text, so she looked down to see, but her gaze ended up fixating on the date.

"shit, i don't know about jiung, but that's why juhee's so off. tomorrow's her dad's death anniversary."

the group stared at the girl as she pushed through the doors of the cafeteria, a sadness taking over each of their expressions.