6. homework

loud groans and grunts followed by a thud on the ground awoke juhee that morning

loud groans and grunts followed by a thud on the ground awoke juhee that morning. she shot up from her sleeping position and looked to her right, revealing mari who was face forward on the floor next to her bed, groaning even louder now because of the pain.

"mari, get up," juhee said with her quiet morning voice.

mari groaned in response, picking her head up. "what the hell happened last night?"

"you tell me," juhee laughed. "i have no idea what you were up to last night. go take the aspirin i put on your nightstand please. i'll cook you something."

juhee got up from the futon couch and helped her friend sit back on her bed, then handed her the pill and water bottle.

she boiled some eggs in mari's kettle and punctured a hole into a pre-cooked white rice container for microwaving. "how do you live without a kitchen, mari? you can only cook like two things in here."

"that's why i eat out all the time, duh. agh, my head," she complained, face planting into her pillow.

juhee peeled the soft boiled eggs and placed them onto the warm rice, then splashed a spoonful of soy sauce on top of everything.

"this is the best thing i could make for you. sorry," she said, handing the bowl to her friend. mari brought up her head and smiled.

"thank you, juju. so where did you go last night? i saw you before i went to the bathroom, but after i came out you were gone. and you didn't answer any of my texts."

juhee watched as mari cut into the egg, its yolk spilling out onto the rice. her stomach growled. "jae was at the party last night. she was with keeho."

mari's eyes grew bigger. "what? when? what happened?"

"i tried to talk to her, but she wasn't ready. she left me her phone number, though. but god, i was a mess last night."

"i'm sorry i wasn't there, juhee," mari said while chewing, grabbing juhee's hand to squeeze it.

"it's okay. you've been with me through everything, anyway. i wasn't alone though," juhee told her. she looked out of the small window when she saw the sun shine in. "jiung let me vent to him last night, and he was so... sweet and caring. he took me to an ice cream place near the lake down there, and it made me forget about everything."

mari smiled and looked at jae, then scrunched her nose. "the way you're talking about him right now is really cute, ju. do you like him?"

juhee's face turned blank, and she let go of mari's hand. "no," she said and paused. "noo, mari. it wasn't anything like that. he was just being a really good friend last night."

"i don't know, juhee. friend is an interesting word for him," her friend teased. "but really, i'm glad he was there for you. he seems like a good guy."

"yeah," she agreed, smiling like a fool. "okay, i really have to go though. my mom was texting me like crazy last night, and i never answered. she probably thinks i'm dead or something, so i'll call you later, okay? don't have any more drinks tonight, please." juhee grabbed her bag and walked to the door, still turned to listen to mari's response.