"I'm always tired", I muttered, "Xavier, when does hockey end?".

"Oh right, six", he picked up his now empty bowl and brought it up to his lips, slurping all of the milk back as we watched him in disgust, "what?". He moved towards the dishwasher and I rolled my eyes, finishing the rest of my coffee and looking at Alexander again, I'd have to have a serious conversation with him today while the others were at school, Prescott at work.

"It's too early for this shit", Caleb all but dragged himself into the kitchen, shirtless, looking like he'd just been dragged through a ditch.

"You look like shit", Chase told him without even turning around, the eighteen year old slapped our brother on the head and he groaned, "ow".

"You're going blonde again Cub", Xavier pointed out and Caleb huffed, ruffling his already dishevelled hair, "I'm going to get my bag". He scurried off, bumping into Prescott who was rolling up the sleeves of his sweater.

"He'll always be the only one with energy at this hour", he chuckled, "I'm out of here, I've got a lotta orders".

"Bring us back a cake?", Caleb asked with a grin, "preferably chocolate- no peanuts, maybe some-,".

"I'm sure you can read and follow a simple recipe Cub", Prescott snorted and Caleb's mouth snapped shut, obviously taking it as a jab, "I didn't mean it like-,".

"I'm going to get ready", he announced, not sticking around any longer. Prescott huffed, pinching the bridge of his nose and grabbing his car keys from the counter, bidding us a farewell before disappearing out of the front door.

He didn't even have anything for breakfast.

"You're quiet", Chase said to Alexander, he was sitting there chewing his now soggy cereal slowly, "you okay after yesterday?".

"Fine", he mumbled, keeping his gaze fixed downwards. Chase hummed, making eye contact with me and narrowing his eyes, I just cocked my head towards the doorway and he nodded, leaving the room swiftly.

"I want a word once everyone else has gone", I announced and he dragged his gaze up to meet mine, "I've called Wren, I'll be dropping you to see her at eleven". He didn't say anything, just focused back on his food as a painful silence filled the room.

I didn't know how to help him.

And it was killing me.

"I'm-,", he went to speak the second Xavier entered the room again, dropping his rucksack and duffel bag onto the floor with a sigh.

"Can we get pancakes later?", he asked hopefully, opening the fridge and grabbing a small bottle of orange juice.

"After hockey", I agreed, "have a good day, hm?". He nodded, putting his drink down and moving across the room, wrapping his arms around Alexander briefly from behind.

"Have a good day Xan", he smiled, "later Zane". I couldn't help but smile at their brief interaction; Xavier would always be his twin's biggest supporter- always.

~

"I'm sorry", that wasn't the first time Alexander had uttered those two words to me in the past twelve hours or so, but I had a feeling he wasn't going to stop apologising anytime soon. I squeezed the wheel, focusing on the roads and being unable to look at him as of now, even though his guilt was literally radiating off of his body.

"I know", I said, keeping my gaze fixed firmly ahead, ever since he had said those things to me however, it felt like something had changed- I didn't know what, but everything felt different.