Chapter 28

A/N - Zane and Cairo are Pretty Boy by The Neighbourhood and I don't take criticism

(Random but yeah)

TW for the second half of this chapter ❤️

I apologise in advance...

(Let's all pretend Jax and August's dad don't have the same name thank you and goodnight)

~~~

"You can crack eggs with one hand?", I watched my brother impressively, looking at the egg in my own hand and frowning, "how?".

"It's easy", Alexander told me, picking up another and looking up at me, "you tap it on the bowl, then you kinda separate it like that". I hummed, watching him do it perfectly in a fluid motion yet again before I attempted it with my own. It wasn't as quick or skilled as my twelve year old brother's attempt, but it wasn't awful either.

"I need practice", I commented, disposing of the shell, "what's next?".

I'd all but kicked the rest of our brothers out of the house to spend the day with Alexander, as per his request just over a week ago. Caleb was at August's seeing as it was his seventeenth birthday today, and Prescott had taken Xavier and Chase for pancakes; so it was just the two of us for now.

"We add the flour and eggs to the butter and sugar gradually", he told me and I nodded, "and once it's mixed together, we get to the best bit".

"Putting it in the oven?", I asked and he chuckled, shaking his head.

"Licking the spoon, and the bowl", he rolled his eyes, "best bit ever".

"I'll take your word for it", I ruffled his hair and stole a glance at his side profile, smiling at how content and relaxed he looked for once; I wished they could all look that carefree 24/7.

~

After the cake was cooked, cooled and frosted, Alexander and I took a large slice each, deciding to eat outside despite the chill of the breeze.

"Can we just eat it all before they get back?", he asked, licking some frosting off of his thumb, "I don't wanna share it".

"Hide it in your room", I smirked, taking a bite of my own slice.

"Are you joking, or being serious?", he narrowed his eyes and I chuckled, telling him I was well and truly serious, "woah". We fell into a comfortable silence for a moment, finishing our cake before I turned to my brother and cleared my throat.

"I wanna talk to you about something, you can tell me to shut up if you don't wanna talk about it right now", I told him and he nodded slowly, "how do you feel about what happened with Wren last week?".

Translation: how do you feel that you were diagnosed with a third behavioural disorder?

"I expected it", he shrugged, fiddling with his fingers, "I kinda just hope that's it now though". I hugged him into my side, wishing I could take away what he was going through and put it all on me instead.

"You'll be okay", I told him, "and you're starting medication, and more therapy, hm?". I tried to make the best of the situation, watching him nod and hum before he glanced up at me with innocent blue eyes.

"You don't find it annoying?", he asked and I frowned, "that I'm like this?".

"Never. I love you just as you are", I promised, kissing the top of his head, "even when you drive me up the walls".

"We all drive you up the walls", he chuckled and I smiled, he wasn't wrong, "I'm your favourite right?".

"Alexander", I warned and he surrendered, sitting up straight.