003 | newbie makes a splash

┌─────── ⋆⋅☀︎⋅⋆ ───────┐

└─────── ⋆⋅☀︎⋅⋆ ───────┘

ATALA FELT GUILTY. She had been put in charge of introducing Percy to camp and she was doing a pretty crap job of it.

She was fairly certain her advice about Grover backfired⏤which only made the aftermath of Alice's little trick worse. Percy had looked so miserable when Atala went along with Alice's game.

She had tried to alleviate some of his embarrassment by saying Alice did it all the time, but the truth was, this was only the second time Atala had witnessed it. The only other time was with Donovan⏤who actually did pee his pants, so at least she wasn't lying about that.

But she was beginning to wonder if it was better that she convinced Percy it was common hazing rather than him being singled out, or if she should have just been honest with him.

How lenient were the three judges when they decided where you go after you die? Was it like a one-and-done type of thing? Because if so, it was off to the Fields of Punishment for Atala. 

Though she was beginning to think that she was already there, because the amount of off-limit questions Percy was asking her was torture enough.

"Wait, so if the Underworld is real⏤"

"Any questions about the woods?" Atala sighed. "You may as well ask them now while we're here."

Why did he have such a weird obsession with the Underworld?

"Oh. Um, yeah." Percy said. "You said they were stocked. Stocked with what?"

"You'll see. Capture the flag is Friday night."

Percy was silent⏤he was definitely still thinking about Hades.

"That reminds me, do you have your own sword and shield?"

His face went slack.

"Right, um, I'm sure Chiron will stop by the armory later."

Atala continued her journey forward, leaving a bewildered Percy to catch up. She pointed out the canoeing lake, the stables, the archery range,⏤Oh, how she wished she could be there right now⏤the javelin range, and the sing-along amphitheater, and the arena.

"Sword and spear fights?"

"Cabin challenges and all that," she explained. "Not lethal. Usually."

Poor Percy looked as though he were about to have a heart attack⏤which would be unfortunate for him since Atala's healing skills were not up to par.