000 | forgotten goodbyes

┌─────── ⋆⋅☀︎⋅⋆ ───────┐

└─────── ⋆⋅☀︎⋅⋆ ───────┘

HER SCREAMS WERE drowned out by the thundering of rain upon her shoulders. Her whole body⏤her whole being ⏤was racked by sobs. Bleary-eyed and mind ablaze with desperation, Atala held fast in her position on the forest, knees blossoming with bruises from unrelenting rocks, hands grasping at her mother's bloodied shirt.

"M-Mom, please–" Her voice was but a mere whisper, words fragmented as she choked back another wave of cries.

Her mother forced open her eyes, taking a moment to regain focus before mustering up the strength to move her arm. Agony flashed across her face as she ever so slightly reached across her torso, fingers snaking their way to the ring finger of her right hand. With a twist and a pull, she removed the muddied gold ring and placed it atop Atala's hand, motioning for her daughter to place it upon her own finger. 

"No." Atala vehemently shook her head. "I'm not taking it."

Her mother ignored her daughter's objection and used the little muscle she had left to slide it into place on Atala's thumb, the only finger large enough for it to fit. Atala stared at the ring with disgust, wanting so badly to rip it off. She wanted to scream at her mom, to beat her fists against her chest and curse at the injustice of it all. She wanted her mom to get up and take her home.

She wanted revenge.

But her mother's soft touch against her chin coaxed Atala to meet her fleeting gaze. Her dim blue eyes held a world of meaning. Once able to bring Atala comfort, they now instilled in her a fear of a degree to which she had never known.

Her mom was going to die and there was nothing Atala could do to stop it.

For weeks now they had been on the run, always checking their backs, peeking around every corner, never stopping in one place for too long⏤all in an attempt to stay ahead of their next pursuer. Their cross-country trip was not one of sight-seeing and exploration. It was one of constant panic and lingering confusion because despite the numerous explanations from her mother, Atala didn't understand why the world wanted her dead so badly.

Atala had been asleep when the first monster attacked, a tall grotesque creature with one eye. It had broken right through the side of their house, causing even more destruction upon its entry. That night was the first time Atala felt true terror. It was the first time she witnessed her mother step into action, scared of the way her mom's muscles went rigid and her usually calm demeanor left her body. Her mother, the woman who seldom rose her voice, didn't blink an eye as she drove a sword through the monster's chest. It had shocked Atala to her core, back when she still considered herself to be a child. Now, only two months later, Atala wasn't fazed⏤being in a perpetual state of fear has a way of making you numb. It forces you to grow up. With every state-line crossed, Atala felt older, losing more and more of herself. She had lost her home. She had lost her best friend. She had lost her innocence.