Chapter 1

13 Years Later

Riiinnngggg!

The bell finally rang loudly inside the school building, indicating that school is finished for the day. Parents and/or guardians are seen waiting outside the establishment, when the doors burst opened.

Students of Empire Highschool came running out, either with their group friends talking with each other, or alone while scrolling through their phones. Some were being called by their parents/guardians while others continue to walk their way home with their friends.

The one student that stood out the most was the 13 years old Steven Universe, an optimistic, friendly, outgoing boy with a carefree and happy-go-lucky attitude that draws people into him. But that's not what made people look at him daily; it's because he is known as the nephew or adopted son of Avyanna DeMayo (a technology company CEO), and one of the lowkey rich student that attends the public school of Empire City.

Steven wore a white button-down shirt that's topped with a powder blue sleeveless sweater, a pair of light brown pants and plain white Nike shoes. With him, he carries his post-ordered cheese burger backpack and on his hand is his smartphone. Due to his friendly and soft-hearted characteristics, he made a lot of friends from either the school, at the local park, and of course their neighborhood.

Adults alike are also charmed by him for being a bright and helpful kid. Even doctors from the hospital that he gets his monthly check-ups are delighted to see him. Since young, Steven was known to be friendly to people he meets and rarely holds grudges, is non-discriminatory and never treating anyone with prejudice. Something Greg noted he gets that from his biological mother.

He was also called the child genius in his class for always getting answers right in the unpredictable way that sometimes amuses or irritate the teachers. But, nonetheless, Steven is a good boy and Empire Highschool is proud to have him as one of their students.

"Hey, guys, my ride's here. I got to go!" A friend of Steven named Carol, said and waved goodbye. "See you all tomorrow!"

"Bye, Carol!" A chorus of responses from her friends, but Steven's was the loudest to hear that made Carol laugh in amusement. "See you tomorrow!"

"Speaking of ride," Jason, another friend and a classmate of Steven, chimed in and put an arm around the hybrid human-gem's shoulder. Eliciting a laugh from the boy. "I think this one's yours, Steven." He points at the corner of the street.

Steven and his friends look up to where Jason was pointing and there, across the street at the corner, parked a sleek black sedan with a familiar butler standing stiffly and patiently waiting for Steven to come. That brightened up Steven even more.

"Mr. Harold's here!" The boy jumped and grinned widely. "I gotta go, guys! See you tomorrow!" He ran while still hearing his friend's goodbyes.

Steven carefully crossed the street (as what his dad and mama taught him) and came barreling into their family's butler. Fortunately, the man has already predicted this and was prepare to have his ward's body impact against his.

A small grunt was his only reaction before Steven was quick to let go. Face grinning widely with eyes shaped like starts— and was that a twinkle? Harold had to narrow his wrinkly eyes at the image.

'Oh my gosh! It's so nice to see you again, Mr. Harold." Steven greeted rather brightly.

The man, himself, have to stifle a smile at the boy. "We just seen each other this morning, young master. And yesterday, and the day before that." He remarks but the boy wasn't deterred one bit.

"I know." Steven replies, still smiling. Harold shook his head in amusement and took Steven's backpack from him then opened the backdoor for the boy to enter. "Thanks, Mr. Harold." He said once he's seated with seatbelt strapped in. The man merely smiled in return.