23 | Doctor's Orders

Start from the beginning

"How did you know?" Crosshair asked, stepping around the medical bed, uncrossing his arms. "I didn't get the time to call for help."

"I experienced visions of Rylann," Shaak Ti stated, holding her padawan's hand. "The same visions I presume she was having."

Rylann froze, the hairs standing up on the back of her neck. If Shaak Ti had the same visions, it meant that she saw Crosshair... Rylann removed her hand from her master's, looking down.

"What were the visions about?" Obi-Wan asked, crossing one arm under the other as he stroked his beard. "Very peculiar indeed for a master and padawan to share visions. It must be important."

Rylann's heart stopped in her chest, her mouth going dry. She barely felt comfortable to process the scenes, let alone tell two members of the Council about how she could possibly stray from the Order.

Shaak Ti clasped her hands behind her back, turning to Kenobi. "I am sworn to secrecy, but I will say it was about Rylann's legacy and how important she is to the balance of peace."

Rylann furrowed her brows. She understood why the dream could be about legacy—hence the vision of the pregnancy—but the balance of peace? Where was Shaak Ti getting that? Maybe Shaak Ti really did not share the same visions and that gave Rylann much relief.

Obi-Wan looked a bit hurt but nodded. "I will respect and trust your judgment on this, Shaak."

Rylann rose a brow at the shortened name. Not even she called her master, Shaak. Shaak Ti just sounded cooler.

Shaak Ti shot Rylann a look, before heading for the door. "Kix, thank you for finding them for us," she said, pausing in the doorway. "And please check up on her for me."

Kenobi nodded to Rylann. "Recover quickly." Obi-Wan followed Shaak Ti out and the door slid closed behind them.

Kix, without hesitation, unshouldered his pack, setting it on the table beside her bed. "Omega, can you and Crosshair leave the vicinity?"

Crosshair stiffened, crossing his arms. "I'm not leaving."
Omega looked up at the clone, smiling broadly. "It'll be alright. Kix is the best of the best and he does this with every patient to ask questions."

Crosshair hesitated. Rylann sent him an understanding look before telling him, "it's okay."

When the two left the room, Kix's brown eyes met Rylann's, with a determined look. "What happened?"

"I had the visions and passed out," Rylann said with a shrug as he started to check her blood pressure.

Kix glanced up at her, lips pursing. "I mean, in the visions." Rylann froze, holding her breath. Should she tell him? "Breathe, please."

"Sorry," Rylann muttered. "Why do you want to know?"

"Physical health isn't the only thing that is important to doctors," Kix stated, clicking a few buttons on his device. "I want to make sure you are alright mentally and emotionally."

Rylann caved, a shaky breath leaving her. "First, it was dark. I could feel someone holding my hands. The talked to me about how..." Rylann bit her lip, tears threatening to spill. "How they didn't have the words to tell me how they felt and that they wanted to show me." Rylann let out a breath. "And it was Crosshair's voice."

Rylann met Kix's eyes, but he was looking down, taking in the information. "What was next?"

"Then I saw things," Rylann started, biting her lip as she wracked her brain for information. "A few images flashed through my mind. The first was Cross holding my face in his hands, then we were on a balcony as we held hands and were leaning in.... Then—" Rylann's voice cracked, placing a hand on her stomach at the recollection.

Kix glanced at the hand she placed, eyes flickering up to meet hers. "I see."

"There's more," Rylann said, throat drying out at the memory. "A silhouette with a sniper aimed at me. Then darkness."

Kix furrowed his brows. "Was the sniper..." he couldn't even form the words.

"I don't know," Rylann breathed out through a whisper. "I know he'd never do that, though, so it can't be."

Kix nodded, packing away his supplies. "I won't tell a soul," he stated, before finally meeting her gaze with authority. "Do you want my opinion?"

Rylann nodded, lost for answers. "Anything will help, Kix."

"I don't know much about Jedi stuff, but I do know this," Kix paused, taking a deep breath. "There is a reason for everything, an answer to every problem." His eyes softened. "I know there is something unspoken between you and Cross." Rylann opened her mouth to object but Kix lifted a hand to silence her. "Whether or no you think so, but you guys have a connection which even you can't deny. And the Force wouldn't show you something like that without reason. In my opinion, you and Cross, is supposed to happen."

Rylann clenched her jaw. Her heart thrummed in agreement but her mind boiled with upset. "It's ot supposed to happen, Kix," she started, shaking her head as tears threatened to form. "I'm a Jedi and he's a clone."

Kix shook his head, features softening. "Why would the Force offer so much good in this vision yet withhold it and laugh in your face? If attachments were such a problem, the Jedi would distangle themselves from the Republic. If they are really all about making peace for the people, it means understanding the people and sometimes it takes an unconditional love like marriage to help you love others better."

Rylann let his words sink in and a sudden peace washed over her. Usually bad visions in the force were filled with anger or warning, but all Rylann recalled feeling was peace. Finally.

"Thank you," Rylann whispered, opening her arms. "Hug it out?"

"The best prescription," Kix chuckled, pulling Ry into an embrace. "Just follow your heart, but also be wise. Head and heart can work together, you know."