16

The descent down the slope had ended, and Elizabeth and Charles found themselves at the bottom, surrounded by the hushed whispers of the night. The pain that had surged through Elizabeth's body was now a persistent ache, but she was determined to mask it, not wanting to let it overshadow their time together.

Charles looked over his shoulder and smiled at Elizabeth when she approached him. "Who knew night skiing could be a contact sport?" He quipped, a mischievous sparkle in his eyes. "I didn't realise we signed up for a downhill collision course."

"Well, I guess I should consider myself lucky. It's not every day you get tackled by a ski enthusiast."

Charles' jokes served as a reminder that laughter could be found even amidst the challenges and setbacks. The genuine laughter that bubbled up from deep within them became a healing force, binding them together and infusing the night with a sense of joy. Charles released his skis from his boots and sniffed. "How are you doing?" The teasing sparkle left his eyes. The look on his face turned to worry.

"I'm fine," she breathed. "It's just a little soreness. Nothing to worry about. We can't let it ruin the night," she replied, her voice laced with stubbornness. She was hurt, stiff and in pain.

His brows furrowed in genuine concern, his eyes searching mine for any sign of surrender. "Elle, I care about you. I don't want you to push through the pain. Let me help you," he pleaded, his voice soft but determined.

A mixture of gratitude and frustration washed over her. Gratitude because his concern was a testament to his genuine care, and frustration because she didn't want to burden him with her discomfort. But the physical and emotional pain became increasingly difficult to conceal. Elizabeth tried to release her boots from her skis but couldn't find the strength to do so. Taking a deep breath, she relented, allowing vulnerability to seep into her voice. "Okay. Maybe... maybe I do need some help," she admitted, her words accompanied by a wince of pain.

"Maybe we should sit and just take a minute."

Together they made their way to a nearby bench. Elizabeth sat down and sighed, looking ahead of her. So many people skied down the slope; it looked cool. Charles knelt beside her, his eyes fixed on hers as he reached for her ski boots. As he removed her boots from the skis, a mix of emotions swirled within her. Gratitude for his unwavering care mingled with a sense of vulnerability.

"Thanks," she softly said.

"Anytime, Elle," he replied and sat beside her. He removed the helmet from his head and took a deep breath.

Elizabeth removed her helmet as well and threw it on the ground. She had always prided herself on being strong and independent, but at this moment, she allowed herself to lean on him, to trust in his ability to support me.

"You don't have to be strong all the time," he whispered, his voice a soothing balm to her weary soul.

Tears welled in her eyes as she looked into his caring gaze, her heart overflowing with love and gratitude. In his presence, she felt seen and understood, cherished even in moments of vulnerability. "It's just so stupid."

"Did you ever fall before on the slopes?"

"Of course."

"So why make it a bigger problem?"

She shrugged. "Because I... It's your last evening, and now it's ruined."

"Did you cause it?"

"No."

Charles smiled and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. "The night isn't ruined, and everything is fine. It happened. Now we move on."

"I'm sorry."