11

The restaurant perched on the snowy slopes was a cosy haven, with warm lighting and panoramic views of the winter wonderland outside. Elizabeth's family settled into their seats, next to the family of Enzo and Puck. They all had been working today, even the adults on their day off. Time flew during the day, until the very last hour of 2022. Laughter and conversation filled the air, blending with the sound of clinking glasses and soft music.

"2022, what a year," Enzo sighed. He drank from his beer.

"One to forget, not gonna lie," Elizabeth added, taking a sip from her beer as well. She took another sip, letting the flavours dance on her tongue. A month without alcohol and then drinking it again... Elizabeth didn't know what to think of it. She looked at Theodore, who looked at her, sharing the same look. "It tastes odd," she said.

Theodore took a sip again. "But amazing," he said. "Only this night, right? Or only a glass of champagne after this?"

"I want to go crazy, have a hangover."

"Why do you want to have a hangover?" Theodore looked confused.

"Because then you start off the year feeling like crap. So whatever happens in 2023, it won't get much worse than the hangover."

Enzo raised his eyebrows. "This woman is crazy, but it is smart. I am in. Let's do it. Let's get drunk." He grinned. "There's a party in the village, we can go there after midnight."

"Whose party?" Puck asked.

"Paulo. He's hosting a party in Carro."

"He was in Madrid, right?" Puck then asked.

"Was, yes, he was. Arrived back this morning and decided to be a party planner already," Enzo replied.

Elizabeth shook her head. "Now the party season is gonna start."

"Shame for you that you won't be partying in January," he shot at her.

Her eyebrows raised, and she shook her head. "Just because I won't be drinking alcohol, doesn't mean I won't be partying."

"Touché."

Puck yawned. "You all worked today, right? Where did you work?"

"Lifty," Elizabeth mumbled. "And then the store. And you?"

"The bar all day long."

"Housekeeping," Enzo said. "And front desk."

Enzo snorted out loud. "Housekeeping. How clean were the rooms, or shall I say: how dirty were the rooms?"

"Enzo, you shut the fuck up. You didn't even bother to help today," Theodore shot to his best friend.

"Don't give me that attitude." Enzo took a deep breath and only grinned. "Yes, because it's my day off. I'm not gonna work on my day off."

"Yes, then don't complain about how tough today was."

Elizabeth looked at the two with an empty mind. She squeezed her eyebrows together and then shrugged, taking a sip of the beer. She observed the exchange with amusement, grateful for the camaraderie they shared. The joy of being surrounded by loved ones in that moment filled her with warmth. It had been a while since the families (her own, Puck's family and Enzo's family) were together in one room since everyone was always working.

"Just a few more minutes!" Enzo yelled.

With Enzo's exclamation, the final seconds of the year began to dwindle. Excitement bubbled within each person, ready to embrace the unknowns and possibilities of the year ahead. Glasses of champagne were handed out, and everybody got up from their seats as the TV showed the clock.