Dessert

I have been prone to back pain since I was a little girl. My mom always made sure I didn't fall asleep anywhere but my bed. Even though I don't usually do it, now and again I fall asleep on a chair or on the couch and the next day, I live to regret it. Today was no exception. I was awoken by movement which I quickly placed to be Leah. I eased myself off her and sat upright on the couch, almost certain I heard my back snap. She sat up after a few minutes of groaning from the sunlight and we sat there for a while in silence. She finally broke the silence when she turned to me slightly and took my hand into hers.

"Are you alright?" She asked and I was a bit taken aback by her voice.

I gave her a nod with a smile to which she reciprocated quickly. 

We slowly gained the urge to move and then got up to get ready. I decided that I would still go into work even though Leah protested. I hadn't been able to stop worrying about my mom since I woke up. I needed to get a grip if I was to continue my training and just stay strong overall. After much convincing, Leah left to go home and get ready for the training we had today. Luckily, it was a later start time -which was heaven sent- meaning that we had time to get ready at a slow paste.  After tidying up to a certain extent, I managed to gather the courage to call my aunt and hopefully get a good update.

"Alexis, dear." My aunt's weary voice traveled over the line. She sounded tired but hopeful. "How are you feeling?"

After briefing each other about feelings, she told me what I really wanted to know.

"She's stable. As I said, we won't know for sure until the surgery." She said, trying not to cry but I could hear it in her voice.

She'd do the surgery later today and then the results would determine what to do next. Right now, it didn't seem life threatening, which I was glad for. Yet, nothing that was said made me worry less. So many possibilities of one surgery, so many outcomes. How many are entirely good and didn't have a consequence? How many would affect her for the rest of her life? I had so many questions and no answers. I knew I had to wait, but how long?

I tried to end the conversation on a good note and prompted my aunt to get rest. Again, I offered to come there and take over but she refused and told me to stay here. That "it's the last thing my mom would have wanted."

I accepted defeat for the fact that she is right. It was best for me to stay here, at least for now and wait until she was out and needed at home care. I truly believed that would happen soon because she was a fighter. That's all I ever saw her do.

________________________

By the time I managed to fix myself a simple breakfast, I had about half an hour left before I needed to head out. As I ate the food slowly, picking at it really, I heard a knock at the door. I really considered not answering but they just never went away. Getting up reluctantly, I made my way to the door to see a freshly dressed and smiling Leah. She smiled as she passed me and made her way into the house. Taking it in as if she wasn't here this morning.

"Do you just casually not answer the door and let people think you're not here?" She asked, turning to me with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes, It works most of the time." I shrugged and went back to breakfast. She came and sat in front of me and just watched me for a few minutes. Saying nothing. I found it weird but didn't mention it as I didn't mind just staring back at her.

"You haven't actually eaten anything on the plate." She said and it caught me by surprise. I felt full and that I couldn't eat anymore. To realize that I barely ate anything was a surprise to me. I managed to play it off and make it seem like nothing so that she wouldn't mention it again. After cleaning up, Leah gathered my stuff and headed towards the door as I followed her.