Then There Was Silence

Then there was silence.

No one talked, not even a single word escaped from either of their mouths. There was so much to say but so little space. The house wasn't the problem, it was quite big, but it was their minds that were low on space. Their spirits, low on hope. Something that was said to bring happiness was the reason for this sad and bitter silence. It was almost like a funeral, bringing lost souls together through loss and sorrow. 

They understood each other, they truly did. There was regret on both paths. For one, she regretted not seeing the signs sooner by being so blindly in love. The other, she was busy reflecting on the things she took out on an innocent victim, just like herself. All that time she spent wanting revenge, could have been used to heal and forgive. 

They were both ready to forgive each other but were they ready to forgive themselves?

"I'm sorry." Leah whispered her words, so soft that they almost weren't heard.

"I know." A voice as tender as the first, hoping to send some sort of comfort towards the other.

There was silence for a few minutes.

"I'm sorry." This time, the roles were reversed. Of course it was surprising as she didn't have anything to apologize for. But she wasn't apologizing for what she had done. She was sending reassurance towards someone that needed it. Leah didn't deserve what happened and Alexis knew that whatever her reaction was, it was somewhat valid. 

Leah didn't reply, instead a small smile appeared on her face for a second, before disappearing as a book fell from the coffee table.  It woke both girls up from the trans they seemed to be in. Now they were face to face with the world, with the past, with the now and with each other.

"So," It was something less than whisper, but as it was said in unison, it made enough noise to cause the girls to look at each other.

There was silence again. Not like the first, this time there was understanding. There was, for the first time, peace. A common ground on which both girls were now standing. As they stared at each other,taking the time to study each other's features, a known thought resurfaced. They were just the same.  There was Alexis and there was Leah. Both so different yet so alike in ways no one can explain. They never tried to anyway. They'd never even admit that they thought it. Here they were again, adding another similarity to the list. Lusts they both created. To be truthful they were both fascinated by each other. Another fact they'd never disclose, yet it was so true. 

One, saw the other as a figure she wanted to understand. What goes through her head? What's she like? All those questions surrounded her head, yet she never planned on ever finding out.

The other, it was the same. The slight difference being that she knew a day would come when would get these answers. She had hope for a world where there was no war. Despite her not showing it at all, she had hope for a friendship. One built on solid ground, one that didn't always remind her of her ex's terror. And if you caught her by herself, on a good day she hoped for a little more than that. That little thought at the back of your head that wished this person loved the way they hated. The little voice that tells you to kiss them when they're upset. A wish that they'd take out all their anger out on you in a way you'd both enjoy. Nevertheless, that was then. It was at a time when hatred wasn't at an all time high. When pride wasn't our worst enemy. That was at a time that none of them can remember.

Yet one would say, it was happening again. Maybe, this was it. The time for a new beginning. A time for healing. They both needed it, and they were both going to need each other's help.

The silence quickly ended as a light, comforting air surrounded the girls.

"Are you gonna eat the food or not?" Alexis asked as she tried to stop tears that were forming in her eyes. It helped as Leah's laugh seemed genuine. The first one that wasn't from an embarrassing moment. This was a good sign. A sign of change.

Needless to say, the atmosphere brightened as both girls tried the food she and Beth prepared. 

"Beth should cook for me more often." Leah joked as she looked at her empty plate.

"Beth didn't do it alone." Alexis replied as she rolled her eyes, hiding a small laugh that left her mouth.

The peaceful atmosphere was different. It was strange yet they were thankful for it. They enjoy each other's company, even though it's only been an hour or so. It was mostly silence, but both found peace in it. 

"Practice tomorrow?" Leah asked as she walked towards the front door of Alexis's house. 

"Yup." She answered as she handed Leah her hat, which Leah took after thanking her.

There wasn't much said, but they heard and understood a lot.

As Leah walked to her car, she didn't look back until she was seated in het car, sending Alexis a little smile and a wake before driving off.

That was it, closure. Was that what it felt like? It felt good, but what next? They both planned on being there for eachother, even though the other didn't know that, it was settled between themselves.

_________________
A/N

This isn't even a 1000 words but I'm having a splitting headache. Tomorrow we'll get longer chapters.