Soccer's Zero

The glaring sunlight from your window did little to scare away your drooping eyes from slumber. You yawned and stretched your arms out towards the ceiling. After your night workout, and crossing paths with Kunigami yet again, you promptly fell asleep without changing or showering. Although waking up sticky made you regret your choices.

You checked your messages, having received several from Yuko.

GAME DAY BITCHHHHH

Grabbing breakfast with Erika!

Want me to grab you anything?

Yuko was aware of your late night exercising and asked if you wanted anything from the Bluelock kitchen when you took every chance to sleep in, usually past cafeteria service hours.

You rolled out of your bed and made your way directly to your bathroom to shower. As the hot water relaxed your muscles, you wondered how the first games would play out, especially how Team Z would perform. No doubt, they were nervous. Hell, if you were nervous, they were probably petrified. Then again, they were athletes. So they were more likely itching to play and hungry for competition.

Shutting off the shower, you wrapped a towel around yourself. You were going to be late for field set up if you didn't get out of your apartment within the next fifteen minutes. But that was all the time you needed to jump into your bodysuit, throw on your lanyard, and grab your shoes.

It's game day.

-----

You tied the laces of your shoes, tight, so you wouldn't have to stop later during the game to adjust them. Anticipation built in your veins as you bounced up an down on your feet warming up your muscles.

Daiki was in Team X's stratum, hopefully coordinating with their equipment crew members on what sides they were each taking. He was to relay that you already claimed one of the longer sides of the field. Daiki would take one of the ends and Team X's equipment crew would take the remaining two.

As your job required, you would be watching the boundary lines and throwing a ball into play when necessary. Ego and Anri would be watching for fouls, as they announced over the PA system, but if things got too physical you would jump in if needed. That was all by your judgment though.

"Hey y/n!" You turned to see the Team X's equipment crew members followed by Daiki.

"Hey!" You replied, recognizing their faces from meetings, but unable to come up with their names.

Both teams filed into the field area, some with grins of pure determination others attempted to mask their nervousness. Wide curious eyes meet the green of the pitch as you watched your team shuffle in one by one. You wanted to wish Team Z luck and give them your support, but your feet were rooted to the ground. Their only focus was the game, so yours should be your job...right? You weren't here to be a fan. You weren't here to be distracting.

Instead you looked over the field one last time, ensuring that everything was in its correct position, even though you'd already checked three times today. Water carts rested near the exit doors for each team. Something Ego hesitantly added to their list of responsibilities after one player passed out during a game the other day.

Team Z took up their positions on the field without bickering. Much to your surprise. They must've discussed some kind of strategy during their last team meeting.

You caught sight of Bachira's fluffy hair bouncing amongst Team Z. When your gaze dropped to his eyes, he was already looking at you with his infectious smile. He gave you a wave.

You returned it, receiving a side eye from Daiki. "We should get to our spots. Anri will start speaking soon."

The four equipment crew members spread out, settling into the grass on their assigned side of the field. You fidgeted in your spot as you watched Team Z stretch and bounce around with adrenaline. Unfortunately, they weren't permitted to warm up with soccer balls.