Chapter sixty four

“You called for us, Alpha Damien?” A man said and the other ones with him nodded.
A man was sitting in front of them, his hair was long and white and cascaded down his shoulders. His black eyes lingered on the people in front of him as he petted his white beards. “Indeed, I did,” he said and his eyes went to the man standing beside him. “This is Elder Maximus Kurtz of the Blue moon pack and he brought a rather interesting story for us. I would have called for the meeting last night but you were all busy so I decided this morning would be better. Go on, tell them what you told me.”
Maximus heaved a sigh and nodded, stepping up to address the High Howlers. “I don’t know if you have heard it but on the blood moon night, our newly mated wolves were attacked by the rogues.”
“Wait, it was your pack?” One man asked and Maximus nodded. “Why didn’t your alpha report this himself?”
“Let the man finish, Argon,” Damien interrupted.
“Of course, forgive me,” Argon apologized.
“Continue,” Damien said to Maximus.
“Thank you,” he bowed and turned to the high howlers. “My alpha didn’t report the issue because we couldn’t understand what was happening and also, no one was hurt. However, a few days after that, we were attacked again and this time, they came with the Nebuzars.”
“Nebuzars?” The men looked at each other? “Aren’t they supposed to be hibernating?”
“Exactly. They should be,” another man said.
“That is true but they really did attack us along with the Rogues. We survived thanks to a man that showed up and took on the Nebuzars,” Maximus said.
“Who is this man?” Argon asked and Damien sighed.
“He turned out to be the nightwalkers Original, Prince Edward.”
“What, he is awake?” A man asked and soon, everyone was murmuring.
“Settle down everyone,” Damien said and everywhere hushed immediately. He sighed and glanced at the faces of his men, “it’s been eight hundred years since he has been asleep. We are the only ones that know he is still alive and we have not told our pack alphas because come on, he has been asleep for eight hundred years. Some of us even believe that he is dead and the nightwalkers were just lying about him being alive but we never really got to see his body as the high chiefs didn’t retrieve his body like they did his men. However, that does not deny what this man is saying and you will be shocked to hear what else he has to say.”
The men looked at each other just as Maximus began again. “It turned out that the reason he helped is because he is mated to our alpha’s daughter, Aliyah.”
“What?” the men asked at the same time this time. “That can’t be, how possible?” Argon asked.
“She showed us his mating mark to prove it,” Maximus said. “It had been a shock to everyone.”
“That is still impossible,” a man said. “Nightwalkers and Night howlers can’t be mates. We are two different kinds and we can’t be merged.”
“Exactly, and besides, he hates us, he would be killing her on first sight before marking her so how did that happen?”
“You are right. Prince Edward hates us the most and he should be killing any one of us he sees on sight. There wouldn’t be enough time for him to even figure out that she is mate and if that is to be possible, she would already be dead.”
“But it’s true,” Maximus said, “and why I am here because my alpha had refused to let you know of it. This is an abomination, the peace treaty clearly states that we are not supposed to come in contact with each other and now this.”
“Wait, if this is true, doesn’t it mean that the Nightwalkers had broken the treaty?” Argon asked.
Damien sighed, “we will pay a visit to Blue Moon pack tomorrow, we will have to get to the bottom of this and if it turns out that the Nightwalkers really broke the treaty, we all know what this entails. The treaty is the only thing keeping the peace among us and if it is really true that they broke it, it shows only one sign, the nightwalkers are tired of the peace.”
***
Sean shifted back to human and stared at the castle a few miles from him. He sighed as he panted, he hasn’t encountered any nightwalker so far and he doesn’t know if he should happy about that or if he really should be wary. But then again, the sun is still out so he can understand. This was the only hill he had come around that has a building so it has to be it, right? He could feel the worms in his tummy begging him for food. He hasn’t had time to hunt and it has been ten hours since he left his pack. He knew it took him that long to find the palace because he doesn’t really know exactly where he was going and had come about five hills in total.
He could feel it in his guts that this was the one, so dressing into his clothes, he sent a silent prayer to the moon goddess to please keep him alive long enough to see Aliyah, he has to make sure she is okay. He started walking up to the castle but right before he got to it, he felt someone behind him and turned sharply but there was no one. He could feel the fear rising up in his heart but he shook it away. However, he still prayed that it should be Edward, he has a slim chance of surviving if it was him and zero if its not him unless the nightwalkers are the ones around his age. Besides, the sun is still up and Edward is the only nightwalker he knows that can walk under the sun.
He gulped and continued on his task, feeling all to aware of the presence behind him. “You have some guts coming here, I will give you that,” he heard and closed his eyes as he stopped on his track, thanking the moon goddess greatly in his heart before he turned to the man that was now looking at him. He gulped and licked his lips, betting his luck that he had remembered him judging from what he said. “But you caught on too slow. I have sensed your presence a long time ago and I had been following you that long too and you are just noticing me? That’s a really bad tracking sense if you ask me.”
“I am not over two thousand years old,” Sean said.
“True,” Edward smiled. “You are lucky I am the one that found you, if it was Rasmus, you would be dead already.”
“Then I am glad you are the one.”
“Don’t be,” the man said and he was strangling him the next second.
“You just said I am lucky you are the one that found me,” Sean said, surprised at how fast everything was happening.
“Yes, because I gave you the time to talk, Rasmus wouldn’t. He hates intruders. And come to think of it, I do too.”
“Please, I do not come to fight.”
Edward scoffed, “you wouldn’t be landing a blow even if you did.”
“I know, that’s why I am begging you to please spare me,” he said, his breaths being squeezed out of his system. “I am no match for you, please.”
“Indeed, you are not,” Edward said but he let the boy go. “You better have a good reason of coming here or I would be finishing what I was doing earlier.”
“Please,” Sean raised his hands for surrender despite trying to get enough air into lungs. “I just came because I am worried.”
“Worried about who?”
Sean looked up at the man and just then, he saw the black rose on his neck. He may have only seen him up close once but he could vividly remember that the mark wasn’t on his neck that day and what does that mean? He and Aliyah are getting on pretty fine if she marked him. He felt an internal relief at that, at least, she is fine, right? “Her mother is worried, she has not been herself since that day and her father searches for her day on end. I just want to know she is okay and have something to take back with me to put them at ease.”
“Who are you to her?”
“A brother.”
“You just differentiated your relationship by saying her mother and her father instead of ‘our’, so tell me, why should I believe you?”
“What I mean is that I am like a brother to her. It’s always been the both of us.”
Edward’s eyes went to the boy’s neck immediately and seeing the mark there, he breathed in relief for him. “You are mated.”
“Yes, so, I am just a brother worried over his little sister. I admit I didn’t take in well the news of you being her mate but I didn’t react like that because you are her mate but because she didn’t tell me. She has been searching for a mate for so long that I would just reject the one the moon goddess gave to her.”
“Hmm,” Edward watched him, “you speak wisely, you get to live another day.”
Sean let out the breath he had no idea he has been holding, “thank you. Thank you so much.”
Edward sighed, he knew that the boy was saying the truth if he took the risk of coming here and besides, something tells him that Aliyah would be happy to see this brother of hers. Despite not liking the fact of seeing him close to her, he knew that would be the right to do and so, he walked past the boy to his castle and heard him follow slowly.