Chapter thirty seven

“My Prince,” Rasmus called the man softly. “Why are you so invested in the werewolves now, is there something going on with them? Something we have to be concerned about?”
Edward ignored the man as he kept watching the rogues as they went about their nightly duties. After killing the two rogues yesterday and how he was sure they were there for Aliyah, he had been worried. Even if he doesn’t care about her, he do know one thing was for sure, he has to find out what the strange man wants with her and also who he is. Why is he controlling the rogues? Why is he changing their form from what they truly are?
“But my Prince, who do you think that man yesterday was? He doesn’t seem like a howler, otherwise, why would he be hiding his face? I think there is something fishy about him.”
Edward glanced at the man then and he pretended to be focused on watching the wolves. Edward rolled his eyes, he was tempted to taunt him but at the end, he just let him go, it was not his fault after all. He looked back at the big field, the men’s discussion yesterday flooding back in his mind. Why does he want twenty more night howlers, is he planning on attacking Aliyah’s pack again? Why did he even attack on the blood moon night, what was so special about the night for him?
The questions were driving him insane and he knew that if he doesn’t get an answer soon, he would go crazy. He may not like his mate or be attracted to her but that doesn’t mean he would sit around and watch some strange man use her for something only the moon goddess knows. He sighed, there was no sign of the man and he has been waiting for a really long time.
“What should we do? Are we waiting for that hooded man?” Rasmus asked, praying in his mind that the man should finally answer him, telling him what they were up to and why he was suddenly interested in the rogues since after the blood moon night. “What is going on my Prince, is it something we should worry about? Do you think the wolves are planning on restarting the Great War? That is the reason you are here right? They want to use the rogues right, the ones that they have casted away?”
“Let us go,” Edward suddenly said.
“Go, go where?” Rasmus asked but the man has already sprinted away and he sighed and followed him. Really, being a servant is really difficult, he thought as he ran after the man. His worry grew some more when he noticed he wasn’t running towards the way home. He frowned and increased his pace, trying to catch up to him but the man was so fast that the only thing telling him where he was going was his scent. He kept running as fast as he could, not wanting to lose his only form of finding his master.
They kept running till he noticed they were in the demon’s woods now. He stopped right before he collided with the man and was happy he put the brakes on time. He gulped, walking up to stand beside him. He stared at him and saw that he was looking around and a worry was settling on his face. “What is it my prince?” he whispered, not wanting to wake up any sleeping demon, the last thing he wants now was to engage in a fight.
“It’s quiet,” Edward answered softly.
Rasmus shrugged, “it’s the middle of the night. The demons may move around at nights but we are really the only creatures that can stay awake as long as we want.”
“No,” Edward shook his head. “Not that quiet,” he took a step and listened, “do you hear that?”
Rasmus frowned and listened, “no, there is nothing.”
“Exactly,” Edward said. “It’s quiet, even if the demons are asleep, I should be able to hear their breathing.”
“Wow, you can hear the demons breathings?” Rasmus asked shocked and Edward stared at him with a raised eyebrow.
“You can’t?” he asked and Rasmus shook his head immediately. Edward sighed, “our powers really drained in you people. I can hear a demon’s breathing just as I can hear their heartbeats and their blood swimming in their veins.” Rasmus pouted, yeah, their powers really drained in them, how cool would it be to be able to hear those? “But right now, I hear nothing, not a single breathing or a single heartbeat. It’s possible if may be the demons that resides here had traveled to their kingdom, it’s about time their king hold this very big party he loves doing every hundred years. However, the Nebuzars should be hibernating by now and I should be able to hear their heartbeats and their soft breathings, so where are they?”
“Maybe they went for the party as well?” Rasmus suggested.
“No,” Edward shook his head. “Nebuzars are demons of their own, they answer to no one and only answer to the king if the need be and they are very irritated when they are woken from their hibernation. So if anyone, even if the king wakes them up, there would have been a bloody fight going on.”
“But he is the king, they can’t hurt him.”
“Who said he would be the one hurt?” Edward asked, “even I would think twice before engaging the demon king in a fight but the Nebuzars are always blinded by their anger hence they hardly notice who they are fighting and often loses their lives in the process. The last time I was here, I killed one.”
“Oh, you woke it up?” Rasmus asked.
Edward sighed but he didn’t answer, rather, he started entering the woods and didn’t have to try to be silent, his feet were already so light on the ground. “Do you see that, Rasmus? Empty Nebuzars nests, someone really did wake them up.”
“But who would do something like that and for what purpose?” Rasmus asked.
Edward shook his head, “that’s what I want to found out. These are not ordinary Nebuzars, Rasmus, they ranges from five hundred to a thousand years old. Whoever that woke them up must really be making an army of Nebuzars but what for?” he frowned. “Rasmus, you went to the high chief’s council yesterday, is there anything going on maybe a fight or something that they are preparing for?”
“No my prince, if there were you would have been the first to know, definitely.”
Edward exhaled, “something is going on but what?” he whispered to himself before saying to Rasmus, “let’s go.”
“Wait, this was not where we were coming?”
“Of course not, why on earth would I choose to come here for no reason? We only have to pass through here and I stopped when I noticed the strangeness of the woods. Now, enough questions and follow me.”
“Yes my Prince,” Rasmus nodded and they picked a run again, sprinting through the woods at the speed of light.
They finally came upon a strange looking hut and Rasmus frowned, slowing down when he noticed the man with him doing the same. “I smell something strange here,” he said. “There is someone in there, they are neither a human nor a nightwalker. Not even a werewolf or a demon,” he frowned and sniffed some more before his eyes widened in a shock, “it’s a witch.”
“Stay here,” Edward said, strolling towards the hut.
“My Prince, there is a witch in there.”
“I brought you here did I not?” Edward asked and continued with his task. He stopped in front of the wooden door and knocked. He could feel Rasmus fear and he turned to glare at the man, taking his gaze back to the door when he heard footsteps.
The door opened to reveal a very young woman with hair as black as the night and beautiful gray eyes that almost looked ashen under the moon light. She smiled on seeing Edward, a very enchanting smile and she said in a voice that sounded like melody, “finally, you have decided to come see me.”
“Forgive me, Irene for I have been a little occupied since I awoken,” Edward smiled.
“I know, I know,” Irene smiled, “come on in.” Edward nodded and made to enter when she placed a hand on his chest and nodded at Rasmus outside. “I have never seen him with you before.”
“Don’t worry, he is safe,” he replied and they both entered the hut, leaving Rasmus outside who was surprised in seeing how friendly they conversed. Witches have always hated their kinds or perhaps, this witch is different?
“Irene, something is going on,” Edward said when they were in the woman’s living room.
Irene held up her hand, “first things first Edward,” she smiled, “congratulations on finally finding your mate.”