Chapter twenty eight

Aliyah searched through the shelves of books. She knows there was a book about the originals. She had been fascinated with the story as a child, and often sneaked into the library to read it. She could vividly remember that the book said that the five Originals killed themselves, why is he claiming to be an original then? Why does he has super nightwalker strength and why is he her mate? What history lays behind the one they have been told?
No nightwalker has ever mated with a night howler before, so why start with her after over two thousand years of being in existence?
She pulled the ladder with her and placed it against a shelf. Climbing up the ladder, she searched through the dusty books and almost squealed in happiness when she found the one she was looking for. She jumped down from the ladder and rushed to the desk. She didn’t need to turn on the light for she could see perfectly well in the darkness. She flipped the pages till she got to the last.
“Now tired of living after living for so long, the Vampire Originals travelled into the desert where they have gotten their powers and fought against each other since only their fangs could truly hurt them. Their prince, Prince Edward,” Aliyah gasped when she read the name. ‘I am Prince Edward, the last remaining Original.’ She remembered his words from last night. Could it really be? But the book clearly said that they killed themselves.
“Their prince, Prince Edward stopped their fight, telling them they have been each other’s brothers so fighting should not be the way they would see the world last. So standing in a circle, they impaled each other with their claws before using their fangs. They dropped dead in the desert, right where their inhuman lives had begun, rotting away and mixing with the dust.”
As a child, she had always thought there was something about the way they killed themselves and now, her belief was stronger than ever. The Prince clearly was the one that suggested the way they killed themselves but there is a nightwalker now who happens to be her mate and he claims to be none other than the very Prince. Didn’t he die then? If he didn’t, does that mean that the other Originals are alive as well?
If so, should they choose to attack, how could they win in the fight? Their ancestors couldn’t harm the originals as it was said in the book that no matter the amount of wound they gave them, they always healed before any damage could be done. So, how could they, that are just the newer generation win over the vampire originals? Should she be concerned about this? Should she tell her father to alert the High Howlers and to prepare for a fight for the Great War might start again?
She paced around in the library, everywhere was shrouded in darkness but it wasn’t a problem to her. She glanced back at the book on the desk, there was something missing. “There is something missing.” She insisted, going back to the book. This wasn’t their history, what if the night howler that wrote this book had been misinformed then or he saw what wasn’t there and then penned down the wrong information?
How can she get the original source? She bit her lip, her mind going to a particular person but she rejected the idea immediately. It’s not like he would come answering to her just because she called to him. The man is filled with pride, she knows that now.
There was only one other way, she had to get to the nightwalkers library. It’s their history so they would have the original source, right? She heaved a sigh and slumped on the chair. Now she knows where she could find the answer she needs but how can she go there? How can a lone wolf enter the lion’s den? The young vampires would kill her before she could even get the information she needs.
She was about to resign to her fate when an idea struck her and she stood up from her seat. She did so forcefully that the chair fell with a loud noise. She quickly picked it up and prayed the Watch-wolves didn’t hear it. When she didn’t hear approaching footstep, she sighed in relief and smiled at her genius idea. The nightwalkers do everything at night, they school at night and feed at night. So maybe, if she goes to their school in mid afternoon when the sun is at its peak, she could successfully find their history book and come home with it.
Clapping her hand in satisfaction, she closed the book and returned it to the shelf. Tomorrow, her new quest begins. She needs to find out the truth about this Mate of hers and she refrained from thinking what would be done to her if her father or anyone finds out that she went to the Vampire’s school. She just prays she had gone and came back before anyone would find out. She left the Library and hurried to her room, she couldn’t wait for dawn to come.
***
“My Prince, what exactly are we looking for?” Rasmus asked as they walked softly in the quiet woods. They have been searching all night and soon, the sun will rise in the sky, he needs to get to safety before then but as the loyal servant he is, he didn’t want to leave his Prince alone even if the man would be perfectly fine in the sun and he would be burnt into ashes. He sighed and followed the man, wondering when he would finally fill him in on what was going on.
Edward finally perceived the scent he had been looking for and sprinted towards it. Rasmus sighed but followed him and soon, they came upon an open field and he gasped. “Rogues,” Rasmus whispered in anger but he reined himself in check and turned to his Prince. “Why are we looking for the pack-less night howlers?”
“Someone is using them,” Edward finally answered the man.
Rasmus frowned, “using them? As far as I know, they are the rejected ones, the banished ones. Our kind kills them for fun because we won’t be angering any pack Alpha, so what do you mean by using them?”
Edward watched the men and women going about their daily activities like every normal werewolf. They looked nothing like the deranged beasts he fought a night ago. The rogues had been in existence since his days. The Alphas of each back usually banish some of their pack-mates out of their pack and to some packs, this was the punishment they get for doing the forbidden things. The Alphas deems it the perfect punishment for any grave mistake because they would be out here in the open, unprotected from any attack, hence what Rasmus just said that the nightwalkers kills them for fun because no alpha would be offended.
The difference between then and now is that they have grown in numbers than the last time he had stumbled upon them. They were big enough to make three packs as it is but despite that, they were still open to danger. Anyone could attack them and they have to depend solely on their strength to survive. No alpha to speak for them or protect them. He watched them, the younger ones running around, they looked so thin compared to the younger ones he had seen in Aliyah’s pack that night he saved her. He frowned, it still sounds strange saying her name, it was like he had accepted her but he hasn’t. He won’t have a howler as his mate.
But what is he doing now? Why is he investigating the rogues because they were after her the other night? He sighed and shook his head, he would battle with his conscience later, now he has work to do. He intended to run down to the field when Rasmus grabbed onto his arm to stop him. He turned and glared at him but the man nodded at a far distant nervously.
Edward followed his gaze and he noticed someone dressed in black all through and with a cloak that covered their face. The person just stood, watching the wolves like he had been doing. His gaze lurked on them, wanting to know what they were doing or what their presence has to bring to the wolves.
As if feeling his gaze, the person looked up and there was just darkness, no face to identify as a human. The person pointed their gloved hand at him and Edward watched, he could feel the unease building up in him as he wondered what could be going on.
“My Prince, who is that?” Rasmus asked.
Edward could feel the fear coming from the man and he turned to glare at him. Taking his eyes back to the field, he discovered that the hooded person was gone. He was startled, they were there just a second ago, even if they are fast, he should be able to see at least their leaving back, but there was nothing and the spot was empty like there was no one there before.