Ch - 5 Confusing

I didn't understand Vignesh's strategy when he told me about declaring Kishore's death as an accident. Upon reaching home and thinking more  about it, I was getting convinced. Moreover, Vignesh had more experience than me in dealing with murder cases. The objective was to catch the culprit, if any. I was preparing myself for the next day, when Vignesh would close this case officially. He may help me in background, but I have to be the person on forefront. Little anxiety masked my thoughts.

I thought of going to university and meet Mr. Balamurugan. That is what I do while being anxious. He is my teacher, guide and inspiration. There was no time to meet him though. So, I have decided to focus on the present scenario. I recollected the statements of all family members. There stood a chance that no one did it. There was an equal chance for anyone to have done it. Specifically, and obviously, Shailesh was the prime suspect. But Kishore worked with Harsha for business dealings. Harsha was not very far away from suspicion.

After dinner, I explained Shailesh's interrogation to Watson. Watson’s sympathy for Shailesh looked stronger than mine after hearing to his story. It was a long tiring day. I opted to talk about some new films and some old jokes. We dispersed for sleep in a relaxed mood. The next day we reached the Swamynathan villa at around 10 AM. Vignesh arrived five minutes later. He had to make some concluding statements. We waited for the family to join us as everyone except Harsha gathered.

The VV duo occupied the two chairs straight opposite to the sofa on which all the family members sat. Watson and I sat on a small sofa adjacent to Vinoth’s chair.

“Gentlemen, at this mark of time, I am convinced that Kishore’s death was an accident. To explain the incident in short, Kishore had consumed some alcohol during the party. Later, when the guests were enjoying the music, he took a cup of tea and went onto the terrace.” Vignesh continued.

“While being on the platform, a mighty wind must have blown towards him. He might not have noticed the greasy material spread across the platform. And this is very probable because there was no light that falls on the platform floor. He would have slipped off the platform with that wave of wind, along with the tea cup; this, as a result, would have set him in motion to forcefully fall onto the granite terrace.”

He continued, “Another question that has to be answered was the breaking of the glass frame. There could be two possibilities for it.  That same mighty wind might have broken the glass.”

“What is the other reason?” I asked curiously.

“Kishore was tall enough to touch the glass frame, if he spread his arm fully and vertically upwards. Another possibility is that, while being at the verge of falling out from the platform, he might have tried to save himself by getting hold of the glass frame. But sadly, he did not get hold of it. His hand's impulse would have done enough damage to the glass that it broke, or its strength had deteriorated, and the next big wind blow was enough for breaking it,” Vignesh explained.

As part of our strategy to make everyone believe that I was not on the
same page as Vignesh, I suggested an alternative.

“Your assumption makes sense, Vignesh. But it is such a rare coincidence: the glass breaking, greasy material on the platform, the party underneath, and Kishore being heavily drunk. Should it all be just damned altogether, thinking that it is the Almighty's miracle? Though your second assumption seems to be believable, that of a guy trying to catch hold of that frame to save himself from falling,”

“We have checked on the possibilities of Kishore's death. I am concluding this as an accident based on the evidence, in accordance to circumstantial possibilities and the post-mortem report. I'll make an official closure of this case,” Vignesh said.