2} The Chief and the Captain

The Gibdos were ruthless in their attempt to wipe out the Gerudo. They kept coming, horde after horde. By the end of the battle, Urbosa could barely keep herself standing on her two feet. All she could think about was how unlucky her people were to get the worst of Ganon's threats. She had always felt her people seemed to be challenged by more monsters than any other in Hyrule, and sometimes she wondered if it was Ganon's way of getting his revenge for the Gerudo turning their backs on him.

The attack had left the town in shambles. As loud and chaotic as the battle had been, once it was over, it was suddenly quiet. So quiet, it made Urbosa feel almost sick. And it was empty. Renata realized just how few of her women were left standing by her side. She watched as her daughter nearly collapse, nearly falter as her body began to give up on her. She wanted nothing more than to rush to hold her, tell her it would all be okay. But she couldn't even do that for herself.

That night, no one rested. The warriors that remained in the town worked hard in hopes that someday, their people would be able to gather together once again with no worries of any monster attacks. Renata thought about how she would put the pieces of her home back together. And while they sat around a small campfire that evening to discuss, Urbosa was settled next to her mother, a light tarp draped over her to protect her from the chill of the night. But she still felt cold.

So cold.

She stared down at the Sundelion she held carefully in her hands, watching with tears in her eyes as the golden glow flickered and faded. She promised herself that as soon as they revived the town, she would find you and bring you home. And she silently vowed that once you were reunited, she would never let you go again.

The weeks went by as a flurry, minimal progress being made to return Gerudo Town back to its former glory. Renata had been growing more and more depressed each week, but then things changed. A few women had come back to help with rebuilding, and over time, even more started to come back. It gave Renata hope, knowing that they weren't left all alone to suffer.

Weeks turned to months. Renata knew that they were on the right path, and that they would get themselves back to normal with time. And she was glad that would be able to make things better for her daughter. Urbosa noticed how her mother had changed, and how soon everyday she seemed happier, more confident. She smiled more, much more. Even lying on her deathbed, she smiled.

Urbosa was coronated as the chief of her people, and even though it was a difficult time for her, she still led the revival of her town with the same strength her mother had. She strove to be the best leader she could be, just as she had always told her mother and grandmother she would. And with her leadership. the Gerudo made much progress.

Months turned to years. The town had been fully rebuilt, and connections with the rest of Hyrule were properly re-established. But it was still quiet. So quiet. Every so often, mothers and daughters would arrive at the town, and Urbosa would greet them and help them to settle back in. But with every woman that returned, Urbosa's heart would only ache more.

Every single time the guards would announce a new arrival, she hoped it would be you. And every single time, she would be wrong.

Even seven years later, her heart was still in pieces.

The desert cooled as the afternoon turned to evening, allowing for better traveling conditions for anyone leaving or arriving at the town. Urbosa had spent her time doing her duties as chief; training with her soldiers, reviewing laws, signing documents and what not. Usually she enjoyed her work, but this was a day she was waiting patiently to take a break.

She sat comfortably in her throne, reading through some letters she received from the Hyrulean and Zora Kings. Both once again pestering her with worries about the Yiga Clan. Every few weeks now, she would be sent letters inquiring about her plans to deal with it, and every few weeks she would be sent a following apology letter from the queen of Hyrule, with a promise to try and settle the matter across the kingdom. But apparently, a queen's words meant nothing to the people of Hyrule and the Zora.