☆"I can hear a lonely operator on the phone."☆

( Oh boy is this AU time? Youre damn right!
ahem
In this AU Stanley works for the Navy to get closer to the ocean and he's on a few weeks of leave aka he came home after a couple of years, but he'll be called back.

The Narrator is also working for the Navy, he's a respected captain manning the ships and making sure they work, he also got to go home, or tried to anyways.

Enjoy!! )
|------->

Stanley had finally got to go home to see...well no one! He lived alone and preferred it that way. He had asked some of his friends to take care of his house and they happily agreed.

Stanley was settling back in his house, waving to a few inanimate objects he missed. One of them was a crochet octopus.

It's base color was a nice forest green with dandelion circles for the suction cups. The underside was a lighter shade of green that Stanley didn't know the name of.

Stanley grabbed his octopus which was about the size of his chest, the inside was filled with cotton. He hugged it happily.

Stanley put it down again and realized how hungry he was and decided it would be nice to walk to a nearby restaurant.

Stanley had grabbed his jacket and wallet and started walking to the restaurant, making sure to check his lock 8 times as usual.

Stanley wad walking to the restaurant before stopping in his tracks and hiding in an alleyway.

Stanley couldn't believe that Captain Narrator was here. People had said he got that nickname because he would narrate stories that really happened which involved a ton of murder, and bloodstains.

Stanley looked to see what the captain was doing and realized he was on the phone with someone?

"Come on...you stupid phone!" The Narrator said under his breath, trying not to startle anyone.

"Please...I just want to make a call.." The Narrator helplessly said, his voice cracking.

Stanley had realised that this must've been a couple of times the Narrator had tried to call this mysterious person.

"Hello?" A voice came from the phone

"Ah! Yes hello?" The Narrator responded eagerly.

"I'm sorry, but the person your trying to call says that she..let me see what the note says..."

"Huh? What note? Is she okay?" The Narrator questioned to the mystery person.

"Yeah, she's okay, oh, and my name is Mariella by the way"

"Nice to meet you Mariella."

"I wouldn't say nice, anyways the note says...ahem..
Dear Narrator,
whenever you see this or hear about this I would like to let you know one thing. I loved you! Emphasize on the loved part. You see when we were dating...I was cheating on you-
Holy shit dude"

"..oh.." The Narrator said quietly upon realising that information.

"Dude, I'm so sorry...I thought she was nice, she told me that she just wanted to break things off! I knew nothing about the cheating part"

"...It's okay it's not your fault..I knew she would leave me like everyone else did.."

"..I have to go now, wish you luck dude!"

"Wait! Before you go..do you have any recommendations for hotels?"

"You're in Estes Park, Colorado right?"

"Yeah.."

"I recommend the Stanley Hotel, if you're into ghosts."

"Mhm, I'll check it out."

"Now my question for you, why'd you call this number?"

"It's my now ex's number"

"Why were you calling her?"

"Well, she was my home contact, because we got a nice flat but that's in California"

"Oh shit, she's in Cali right now"

"...Well, give her a 2 week warning, I've been paying bills there even while in the Navy"

"Alright, bye bye now!" The phone went silent.

Stanley peeked out from the alley.

"..Don't think you were slick, Soldier Seal."

[Oh come on! Why that name everytime??] Stanley signed walking out of the alley

"It's a nicer one then everyone calling you 'Fat Bastard'."

[Did you and your girlfriend just break up?]

"Yeah, apparently. Anyways I never liked her, no matter how hurt I sounded"

[You weren't crying?]

"Of course not! I only dated her to get my parents off my back about getting a girlfriend!"

[Damn, dude]

"Anyways, I know goddamn well you were eying that restaurant over there."

[...Uh nuh uh]

"Oh shush, I'll treat you to dinner"

[So a date?]

"If you want it, but don't think I'll promote you to higher ranks."

The Narrator grabbed Stanley's hand and dragged him into the restaurant. The place was nice and it had this cool 70s feel. The two didn't need to actually say this was a date, it felt like one, so they both just assumed. After they were done eating they headed to Stanley's place.

"I could always just stay at your hotel"

[Ha ha, very funny, but seriously just stay for the night]

"Fineee, I didn't want to spend any more money anyways. But I'm taking you you shopping tomorrow and then leaving for California!"

Stanley smiled as they both headed for his place, with enough begging he even managed to make the Narrator penguin huddle as they did back with the other soldiers.

The Narrator drifted off easily off to sleep, same with Stanley. Somehow they both knew that the Narrator wouldn't be leaving for anytime soon and they would just go to California every summer until the army called back. They were happy. And for Mariella? She ended up joining a Marine Biology team, life was good for those three.

(The ex ended up getting cheated on)