Heroes on Both Sides

Conflict with no end in sight. Across the galaxy, the quagmire of war continues. While clone troopers suffer casualties at alarming rates, the galactic senate convenes an emergency session to debate the true cost of the war.

Roxanne's POV

I'm with Ahsoka as we watch the senate debate about deregulating the banks in order to pay for more clone troopers. Padme has her booth fly forward to address the senate. "Do you hear yourselves? More money, more clones, more war" she states. "Say nothing of fiscal responsibility, what about moral responsibility? Hasn't this war gone on long enough?" she asks them. I agree the war should end.

"Senator Amidala, are you suggesting we surrender to the separatists?" another senator asks her.

"Of course not. But negotiation, might be a better course of action" Padme suggests. A few disagree, while others demand to vote now. I share a look with Ahsoka. Before we both focus back on the meeting below.

"Members of the senate, I suggest we table any emergency bill, until it is determined, whether or not deregulation, is the right course of action" Senator Organa declares. The motion to table the emergency bill for now is approved. The meeting ends. Ahsoka and I go to see Padme with Anakin. He and Padme immediately start to talk about the meeting.

"You must ask the Jedi council to speak with Chancellor Palpatine" she tells him.

"Don't involve me in this" he tells her.

"A peaceful solution is the only way out of this morass of war" Padme tells him.

"That's not my role, Padme" he tells her.

"Isn't it?" I ask. As the same time Ahsoka asks 'why not?'. We move forward to walk either side of him.

"Why isn't it your role? Aren't we Jedi knights? Isn't it our duty to speak our minds to advise the chancellor?" Ahsoka asks.

"Also, we were originally peace keepers. Shouldn't we advise on a peaceful end to the war?" I ask. Anakin sighs clearing his throat.

"I suggest you teach mine and Obi-wan young padawans a thing or two about politics" Anakin tells Padme. I roll my eyes, I know plenty about politics. Even if Obi-wan and my mother would agree I still have a lot to learn. Especially as a the future ruler of Mandalore.

"After today's debate, I was hoping they learned a great deal" Padme states.

"Truthfully, I don't understand any of it. I know the separatists are evil, but all anyone argued about was banking deregulation, interest rates, almost nothing about why we're fighting in the first place" Ahsoka states.

"There's no good and evil Ahsoka, the world isn't black and white. The Republic and separatists just have different ideals" I tell her. Anakin gets in front of us.

"War's complicated Roxanne, Ahsoka. But let me simplify it. The separatists believe the Republic is corrupt, but they're wrong, and we have to restore order" Anakin tells us.

"Maybe talking to the Jedi council isn't the role for you after all" Padme states. "Thanks for your help. Come on, Ahsoka and Roxanne" she says. We start to follow her.

"Hey!" Anakin says.

"You told me to teach them about politics. So I'm going too" Padme tells him. We left and go to her office. "If only I could talk to senator Bonteri" she says as she looks out the window.

"Who's he?" Ahsoka asks.

"He is a she" I correct her. My mum has spoken highly of her.

"She is a senator in the confederacy of independent systems" Padme adds.