CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

ELLIE

I watched out the corner of my eye as Luca left the room. I don't know why Jamie opened her mouth and thought it was acceptable to comment on his skills as a father but she was in the wrong and she didn't have the right to make a comment.

Luca did his best for those boys. He tried to put them before himself and, when Charlotte didn't want anything to do with either of them, he was there to make sure they had the love and the care they deserved. He wasn't the perfect father, I don't think there was a thing such as the perfect father, but he wasn't terrible and he didn't deserve the comments which Jamie made.

She didn't know what he had been through. She didn't know the fights he had to endure just to make sure those boys never felt like they weren't wanted. She didn't even understand the pain he was in after finding out that they weren't really his children because his mate got herself pregnant by the man she was really in love with.

I would be having words with her when this was done. And I would be telling Link to make sure he kept her in check. I don't care if she's Blake's sister, she doesn't have the right to treat another member of the pack in the manner that she did and she certainly didn't have the right to comment when she didn't even know the story of what had happened behind closed doors.

"El?" Blake said quietly when I stopped talking. I turned my attention back to the people who were all stood in front of me with expectant looks of their faces as they waited for me to continue with what I had been saying.

"Is dad really going to be alright?" Michael whispered to me. He had pushed himself in the middle of myself and Blake while I had Daniel the other side of me with his hand wrapped around my own as he looked excitedly at the people in front of him.

"Honestly? I don't know. I've never seen him this bad," I told him truthfully. I wanted to believe that Luca was going to be alright and that he was going to pull through the pain he was feeling but I didn't know if he would ever get over what Charlotte had done to him and those boys.

"Neither have I. I'm worried about him Ellie and I don't know what to do," Michael replied. His eyes were glazed with tears as he looked to the floor and I saw as Blake took hold of Michael's hand in his own and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

Michael wasn't one for showing emotions. He tended to keep himself to himself and, if he was an emotional person, then he did it when no one else was around because I had never seen him without anything other than a slight smile on his face. He didn't ever show that he cared and he had certainly never shown this level of concern before.

I knew that he loved his father and I knew just how much he appreciated the things his father had done for him. But Michael had never really shown him either of those things because he wasn't one for using his words or even following through with his actions because he was quiet kid really. He wasn't anywhere near as outgoing as Daniel was and he wasn't as talkative as his younger brother either; that didn't mean that it didn't matter though and I hated it whenever someone did make a comment about either of the boys.

I may not have been in their lives for very long but I loved the both of them and I would hurt anyone who said anything about either of them. They had been through hell already and they had both come out fighting, they had come out on top even after their own mother had made sure they were pushed the side and treated like they didn't matter. They were my nephews and I couldn't have been prouder of either of them.

"Alpha? Is something wrong?" a member at the front of the crowd asked curiously. I looked up to see that it wasn't someone I recognised and he also didn't smell like he was member of my pack so that meant he was from one of the other packs which Jamie had invited to the event.