CHAPTER ONE

BLAKE

        “Who was that?” Luca asked once we were outside of the house.

        “His name is Jayson. He was the Alpha of my old pack but after Ellie killed James, he just sort of disappeared and no one has heard from or seen him since,” I sighed as I ran my hand through my hair in frustration.

        I didn’t know why he had decided to come back now or what the hell he even wanted, but I already knew it wasn’t going to be good and that him being here was going to do more harm than it was good.

        I had missed him and had been worried about him, he was like my brother and he was there for me through the tough periods of my life, but I knew the fact he was back now meant that he needed something.

        The fact he was covered in blood was enough to have me questioning his motives. I knew the blood wasn’t his which meant that he had either gotten into a fight with some people or he had killed people, I was prefer to think it was the former rather than the latter.

        “You don’t seem too thrilled to see him?” Luca remarked.

        “He’s been gone for over a year now. He hasn’t bothered to tell anyone that he’s alive. Now he turns up, covered in blood, so I am a little suspicious of his reasons for being here,” I replied without even thinking about it.

        We came to a stop a short distance away from the house and I found myself leaning against a tree as my thoughts ran wild with questions which weren’t going to be answered by anyone other than Jayson but, apparently, the only one of us he actually wanted to speak with was Ellie.

        “There’s something else bothering you,” Luca said as he came to a stop on a tree opposite me, folding his arms across his chest as he simply looked at me.

        “It’s nothing I can’t deal with,” I muttered as I suddenly felt a wave of pain wash over me, but that was something I was used to now. Feeling Ellie’s pain every time one of the twins moved or she get a slight twinge of pain in her stomach.

        “You can talk to me. Just because I am Ellie’s friend doesn’t mean that I can’t be your friend too Blake,” Luca replied. He was easy to get along with and you could just talk to him, knowing he wouldn’t talk to anyone about what you told him if you didn’t want him too.

        It was understandable why he was Ellie’s best friend. He could make you laugh or he could make you cry, he could be the reason for your smile or the reason for you frown, he could be your best friend or your worst enemy. He had been there for Ellie before Jackson and I even came into her life, so I couldn’t hate him when he had been there for her so much.

        He was the first person she told about her pregnancy before she told me. I was angry when I first discovered that was the case but then Luca explained that she was frightened of my rejecting her and telling her I wanted nothing to do with the children because of how soon they had happened, which is why she confided in her best friend before coming to me.

        “Do you know when everything is going so perfectly you know something is bound to come along and screw it all up for you?” I finally spoke to him.

        “I would assume you are speaking about your relationship with Ellie and the looming birth of the twins?” Luca asked as he walked over to me and stood beside me, leaning against the tree so that our shoulders were almost touching while he looked at me.

        “Everything has been wonderful. Our relationship has been at its strongest for the last four months and the thought of the twins does nothing besides make me smile, but I just feel like something is about to bring our world crashing right back down,” I admitted and that was a thought I didn’t really want to entertain.