CHAPTER FOUR

BLAKE

        As the medics rushed Ellie to the hospital, they refused to let me anywhere near her. They kept assuring me that she was fine and that the pain was normal, they just needed to get her to the hospital.

        But, even when we got to the hospital, they rushed her off to some room and told me I was going to have to have wait outside her. It didn’t matter that she was screaming my name or that I wanted to be with her, they told me that they would fetch me when the time was right.

        So that’s how I came to be sitting in the waiting room with Luca beside me and Jackson opposite me. Neither of them had spoken since they walked in the room and the silence was only making me more agitated and on edge than I already was – I could feel her immense pain through the mate link and it was killing me.

        I just wanted to be there for her. I was her mate and the father of the children she was carrying but, apparently, that meant absolutely nothing to these people. To them I was just another visitor and that meant I had to follow their rules, even though I didn’t like them nor did I agree with them.

        Blake. I heard Ellie’s voice squeak through our mate link. It was quiet but it was loud enough for me to know that she needed me. Second Floor. Seventh room on your right. Come quickly.

        I didn’t need to be told a second time so I pushed myself from the chair and walked out of the room, both Jackson and Luca hot on my heels as I flew up the stairs to the second floor three at a time – it had been close to four hours since they had taken her and refused to let me see her so I was desperate to get to her and make sure she was fine.

        “Blake?” Jackson’s voice shouted from behind me.

        “What?” I growled as I paused at the top of the first flight of stairs.

        “You need to calm down. If you go in there and lose your temper, they’re only going to kick you out,” Jackson replied.

        “Then it would be their fault. Four hours Jackson. Four fucking hours. That’s an awfully long time to keep me away from her,” I snapped back. I didn’t mean to lose my temper with him but my wolf was seriously on edge right about now.

        He could tell that our mate was in pain, that she needed the both of us, but we were being denied that right by people who thought they knew me. It was a joke and if they knew what was good for them then they wouldn’t touch me when I walked into Ellie’s room, they would simply allow me to be with her and our children.

        “I know that and you can lose your temper with them later. Right now, you need to be calm and you just need to keep your head clear. You’re about to become a father and I would think El wants you there for that, not sitting outside the hospital because you couldn’t contain your anger for a few more hours,” Jackson said as he walked over to me and put his hand on my shoulder.

        “You’re right,” I sighed as I took a couple of deep breaths and forced the anger out of my system.

        “I usually am,” Jackson chuckled smugly. The sad case of the matter was that he was usually right and if you admitted that he was right, you wouldn’t ever hear the end of it and he would constantly remind you of just how right he was.

        He was an immature and smug dick at times but that was Jackson. I don’t think he was ever going to really grow up – even though he acted more mature than Ellie, Luca and I in public, as soon as we were in the privacy of our own home, he was one of the most immature people I had ever come across.