Prologue

"This afternoon Scooter Grubs was pronounced dead after going into the storm last week. Locals say he would have gone out, storm or not, but his wife says otherwise. Knowing this we can-" Sofia shut off the radio causing everyone to goran at her.

"What the hell Sofia, we were all listening to that!" John B exclaims as she rolls her eyes telling them she didn't want to listen anymore. Opening the van door, she was met with rain falling down even harder than it was yesterday. This tropical storm was no joke but have the pogues done anything to make sure the chateau is safe? No.

"Do you guys really want to hear about a guy who obviously died because he went out when he wasn't supposed to?" she yells as nobody is agreeing with her. "Maybe he went out there because something was out there." Pope adds in knowing Scooter would only go out into open waters during a storm if it would benefit him.

"It's not like we are doing anything this summer so why not try to find out why he went out during the storm." John B said, Sofia looking wide eyed at him. Sofia looks at Kiara but noticing the look in her eyes, she knows nobody will side with her. If only JJ were here right now she thought to herself.

Speaking of JJ, nobody but Sofia knows where he is right now but knowing the group of pogues, they will start to wonder where he is soon. "I'm going home." Sofia mutters knowing she won't be going home, but instead meeting a few faces the pogues know very well.

"So get back in the twinkie. It's a long walk from here and it's thundering." Kie said, motioning her hand in the twinkie but Sofia shook her head saying she likes the rain and needs the exercise. Knowing this is a fight the three pogues can't win, they slowly drive off and watch Sofia make her way back 'home'.

Once she knows they are no longer visible, she goes to the spot Rafe told her to meet so he can pick her up. A while later she hears a motorcycle pull up and a wet Rafe pulling his helmet off. Smirking at her knowing Sofia hates to go on the back of that thing. Especially when it's raining outside. "Funny if you think I'm getting on that thing" she scoffs, crossing her arms.

"Oh sweetie, it looks like you don't have a choice since your boyfriend has to keep a certain someone hostage." Rafe smirks, handing her the helmet. Huffing knowing this is her only option, she gets on the bike. "Big man wants this one done by tonight or one of us gets it."

Starting the bike, Rafe and Sofia go down to an abandoned shed, looking to make sure nobody is around. Going inside they are met with Big John tied up and JJ carving a piece of wood with a pocket knife.

"You weren't supposed to tie him up yet dude." Rafe says looking at JJ. "He was refusing my orders, what else was I meant to do!" he yells back and soon the two men are arguing over what was or wasn't meant to be done.

"Shut up!" Sofia yells, making the two stop the argument. "Look, all that matters now is we have him and John B thinks he's long gone." Sofia says going to the wall of weapons and grabbing a gun. Removing the cloth from his mouth Big John starts to yell for help. Slapping him with the barrel of the gun the three snicker.

"That won't work out here old man. Nobody will save you so do what we say and you won't get hurt as much."Rafe says going around the chair to get a tape recorder. "JJ how can you let them do this," he pleaded."

"I have my reasons now, shut up and read what's on the paper before I kill you myself." he says, holding the paper just close enough that Big John is able to read it. Getting the tape recorder ready Rafe holds it up to Big John and hits the record button.

"Dear Bird. I hate to say, 'I told you so,' but I told you so. And you doubted your old man. I suspect at this moment, you're filled with guilt and self-loathing over our last fight, but don't kill yourself just yet, kid. I didn't expect to find the Merchant either. You were probably right to call me out. Wasn't exactly Father of the Decade." Big John sighs but continues on. "What can I say, kid? I could smell the barn. And hopefully, we're listenin' to this in our brand new sugar-shack down in Costa Rica, livin' off passive investments and pulling on permits. If not, and you find this for less than optimal reasons, well, that's what the map is for. There she is, the wreck of theMerchant. If somethin' happens to me,finish what I started. Go for the gold, kid. I love you, Bird, even if I didn't always act like it. I'll see you on the other side."

Hitting end on the record button, Rafe puts the recorder in an empty FedEx bag and JJ puts the cloth back into Big John's mouth waiting for the next step from Sofia. "Rafe make sure to call the dude who takes the bullets out and make sure nobody finds out." Sofia says as Rafe nods his head and pulls out his cell phone and steps outside to make a phone call.

"Any last words Big John?" JJ asks as Sofia puts the gun against his head waiting for a response. "You guys are sick people who deserve to be caught. First Scooter and now me. Who's next huh? So help me if there is a way you will be fou-" "Looks like we won't ever know what he was gonna say." Sofia says, shrugging, staring at the bullet wound in his head.

"That was hot." JJ says making Sofia look at him. "Are you really saying that at a time like this" she says putting the gun on the table and walking up to him. Pulling her close so their bodies are pressed against one another, JJ leans down and whispers in her ear, "Anything you do I will always find enchanting even if it's you killing another man."

Slowly, the two of them go in for a kill but Rafe opens the door. "Don't stop, it's not like we have a dead man in here or stuff to plant for John B or anything." the two pull away and get back on track with the mission at hand. "I'm already dealing with the body so you and JJ can go put the tape wherever you need to." Rafe said as they agreed to meet back at Sofia's house after the mission is complete.

__________

Opening the door to Sofia's house, the three regroup to the couch and wait for the text message from their boss. "What's taking so long?" JJ groaned and placed his head on her shoulder while Rafe went to the kitchen to get a scotch. Finally after a few minutes, the three got a notification from their boss.

BIG MAN: Well done today you three. Make sure nobody finds out it was you and all is well, but if you mess up it's over.

RAFE: We get that but who are we going after next? This was hard enough to plan out.

BIG MAN: Your next assignment is to get rid of Kiara Carrera.

SOFIA: No.

JJ: We can't do that. It will be obvious.

RAFE: Alr

BIG MAN: I don't care if she is a friend, an ex, anything. Just get it done. I'm done playing games with you three. You have till the end of the week to complete the task or say goodbye.

"So how are we getting this one done?" Rafe asks. The three of them think for what seems like ages till there was a knock on the door. Getting up they all look out the window and see it's the pogues.

"Why are they here!" JJ whisper yells, ducking when they notice them starting to look through. "I don't know but you two go upstairs and don't come down till I say so." Sofia says rushing them before opening the door.

"Hey guys sorry I was in the bathroom. What's up?" she says leaning against the doorframe trying to hide as much of the inside as possible since JJ and Rafe left their phones on the coffee table. "We just wanted to make sure you were okay with the storm" John B said, trying to step inside but Sofia blocked him off. "Can't we come inside Sof?" Kie asked, looking confused.

"I'm getting ready to go to the store to see if I can get any groceries with the forty bucks I have." Sofia makes up a lie knowing that should get them off her back for a few hours. "Oh well come by the chateau later will ya? John B needs help cleaning his yard and we are going to try and find what Scooter was looking for." Pope said. Knowing Sofia can't say no to him, she agrees and will meet them later tonight.

"Yeah okay. I'll see you guys later." she says waving at them and closes the door, waiting for them to drive off. Once it was safe she called the two boys from upstairs to come down.

"JJ me and you are going to the chateau in a few hours and Rafe you do whatever." Sofia says plopping down on the couch and looking at her phone. "Sofia?" JJ said, making her look up at him. "We kinda sorta didn't come up with anything." Groaning and getting up from the couch, she paces around the living room till she stops and looks at the two.

"I know how we're gonna do it." she says smiling.

"How?"

"We my friends are going on a treasurer hunt for the Royal Merchant."

⋘ Deadly duo ⋙