Attempted Comforts (Reader's POV)

"Y/N?"

I lifted my head, awaking from my nap.

"Tsubaki? You're awake!"

I rushed over to her, tears filling my eyes.

"You're okay," I choked out, "thank Death you're okay."

I leaned my head into her shoulder, smothering myself in her. Tsubaki placed her hand on my back and rubbed up and down, as she always did when I was upset. She placed her head on top of mine for a moment, just long enough for my breathing to steady. Shakily, I managed to look her into the face.

"I'm so sorry," I sniffled.

Tsubaki just gave me a gentle smile and patted my head, "I don't blame you. It wasn't your fault. It's okay."

My attempt to take a deep breath was repeatedly interrupted by sobs.

"I tried to tell them who did this," I sobbed, "I want him to pay for this. I'm sorry, I should have told them."

"Y/N, breathe. It's okay. We don't know what Kid would do if he were faced with that situation right now. I'll be okay. It's you I'm worried about."

I could only shake my head at her. She didn't understand. Kid could have killed her, would have killed her. But me? I was safe. No matter how upset Kid could get with me, he'd never raise a hand against me. He said he loved me. In a distorted way it was true, he did love me, but not in the way he claimed. He loved me in a possessive and obsessive way, in a way which determined that I was to be 'protected' no matter the cost, in a way which said that no one else could have me. I was safe from him. But no one else was. And even if Kid would listen to me, he would only go so far. If he determined that someone was too close to me, if someone would come between us, he would kill them. And even I wouldn't be able to stop him.