3 - One Missed Call

Start from the beginning

Honestly, she hadn't a clue as to why she had said yes in the first place. She supposed it wouldn't be so bad to tell him this was all a mistake and she must've gone momentarily insane when she agreed. Right? Oh, but it would, wouldn't it? She'd be breaking their silly contract (which she berated herself heavily for writing up in the first place!), and she'd probably look like a coward who was still hung up on her ex. (Although, she wasn't so sure that last part was wrong . . .) Ugh!

Kate's head dropped onto the table in front of her with a thud, and she groaned not out of pain but from the prospect of having to face this situation at all. First, baking had betrayed her and then she'd betrayed herself! It was like the world was opening up and getting ready to swallow her whole.

"You know, even if you call him now, he probably won't pick up," Darcy said as she entered the kitchen, opening the fridge and contemplating a snack. "I was talking to Amara, and Richmond's playing Chelsea right now. They're one down."

Kate lifted her head. "If you could just aim that knife on the counter at my heart for me, I'd really appreciate it."

"Tempting, but no." Darcy settled on a pouch of konjac jelly before joining her at the table. "What's the big deal anyway? Just tell him why he was an asshole when you dated him, and then run him for his money. He's like a millionaire."

"How would I even say? Hey, Jamie, part of the reason women can't stand you anymore is probably because you've become dull since becoming a 'changed' man?"

Darcy stared at her blankly. "Yes. And then ask for a grand."

"Wouldn't that be extortion?"

"Not if he can afford it. Plus, money is the least he could give you for all the shit he's put you through."

Kate groaned. "Darcy, I'm serious. I don't know what to do!"

"I'm being serious too," she said. "I don't like him, and frankly, if Evan doesn't get to him first, I'd like a go at him. But what's the harm in keeping to it and using his help while he's offering? Like yeah, he's asking you for love advice, but don't you need him too?"

When Kate didn't say anything, not looking so convinced, she let go of the pouch momentarily to take out her phone.

"Look," Darcy showed her phone to Kate, scrolling through countless comments. "This is all the support you've gotten in the past month. People are obsessed what you make, old and new. But I know that more than anything you love to create, and Jamie—that fucking bastard, has an amazing grasp on flavors. I mean, even when you two were dating, it was all fitted puzzle pieces in the kitchen. So like I said, take his help while he's offering and run him for his money."

Kate read through the reviews left on her website, thinking into the past. She had writer's block but for bakers, and Jamie would be the perfect person to get rid of it. Darcy was right; she often was. But still, there was so much . . . history, so much that could go wrong. And Kate was scared. She was terrified at the idea of losing herself in someone else again.

"What if he ruins me?" She asked at last. "I don't think I could handle going through the heartbreak of it twice."

"What if he doesn't? What if everything pans out perfectly, and you never have to speak to him again after?" Darcy answered, squeezing the konjac jelly out.