Part 31: Jealousy

Start from the beginning

"Babygirl..." Her body tenses when he lays his hand on her stomach and pulls her closer to his body. "I know you don't believe me," he whispers into her ear, "but I don't have a relationship to any of my other clients that's anything close to ours!"

How can she know he's telling the truth this time? And at the same time, she can't think why he should lie to her about this. So what if Anya becomes pissed at him for not being the only girl in his life and throws a tantrum because of this? It's not his soul at stake, but her own.

The longer she thinks about this, the more frustrated she becomes. She is the problem here because she gave her heart away just like that. Kyun made it so easy for her, but she knew what she'd gotten herself into. And now she's expecting things from him that he can't give her. She's being unfair.

Carefully, he turns her around again. There's something in his eyes... She can't help but believe him.

"What are you gonna do about her?" she asks sheepishly. This girl's behavior seems to be an issue, Anya's feelings aside.

Kyun shrugs. "I'll try to make her realize that what I have with her will never be what she wants to have and if she keeps on calling me for nothing, I have permission to collect her soul sooner."

His nonchalant way of speaking about this makes her heart clench. "And you can live with that?"

Confused, he cocks his head. "Since when do I care?"

She has no idea why this is so shocking to her. Probably because she just forgot yet again what he is. And there's a voice inside of her asking if he talks about her, about the damnation of her soul, the same way.

For a moment they look at each other and Anya fights with all her might to see the monster in him, the demon, the bad guy. Anything that scares her off. But she can't.
Just like Kyun isn't able to feel this way for her, she isn't able to not feel this way for him. It's too late.

This becomes very clear when he tucks some loose strands of hair behind her ear and Anya's heart begins pounding in her chest again.

"Let's take you home..."

"Can you come in for a second?" Anya asks Kyun after they arrive back at the hotel.

The demon nods without hesitation and she opens the door. She asked Patty to take care of a few things and when she sees the candlelight brightening up the room, she knows her assistant did her job well. As usual.

Tired and still a little heartbroken by all the events of the night, she walks into the suite, Kyun following her without a word.

Sheepishly, she stops and steps aside, revealing the cake, completely covered in candles, that she organized this morning. She's glad she kind of made up with Kyun, or she would have really regretted arranging this surprise.

"Happy birthday again!" She smiles, and Kyun looks down at her.

"What is that?"

"A cake!" she says and they both walk up to the table. "My first idea was to buy peach cake, but after the schnapps, I wasn't sure if that would be a good idea—"

"Peach cake is delicious as fuck though..."

"So it's chocolate!" she ends the sentence, completely ignoring his comment. In the end, it doesn't matter which cake she got, since he won't like the taste either way. It's just a gesture.

Kyun stares down at the cake and a smile appears on his face. "I haven't had a cake since my 26th birthday..."

Anya gulps heavily. So many birthdays and he didn't celebrate any of them?