3 Promises You'll Forget to Keep

Cover Art: https://pin.it/6H7kCAU

Carmen makes her way to a door at the end of the hall, a rogue vendetta poster proudly hung on the wall is the first thing her eyes graze. Beside it is the bed, and a boy not much younger than Carmen. Realising she forgot to knock, the thief raps on the door, watching Zack hardly look up from his comic.

"Who is it?"

"Your Boss." The thief teases.

He finally looks up, relaxed, "Oh. Hey, Carm."

She smiles, crossing the carpet to the boy in red race car pyjamas. He starts looking around for a bookmark, one Carmen has set eyes on a few times in airplanes and flight gates.

She spots it, the corner sticks out on the floor under his bed. The thief crosses her legs on the mattress and bends down, offering it to her getaway driver.

He sighs, "Thanks, Boss." However, the moment he's glanced at the book he has to finish the page.

Carmen watches in amusement as he struggles to rip his eyes away, "What's it about?"

The kid blinks, looking up to the woman cloaked in red.

"It's fan made!" He says, showing off the cover, Rogue Vendetta pictured in red bold letters, "It's like the show and transformers mixed in, it-,"

Carmen smiles, nodding along to the mumbled rampage that reminds her of Player's old obsessions, "Right!? Like it- are you going out?"

She shakes her head, "No?" Carmen glanced down to the see her red coat has yet to be hung, "Oh... no, no mission today."

Carmen expertly slides the book into a draw, lifting the hazardously drawn covers so Zack understands his cue is to slide under.

"You sure you won't sneak off into the night?" Zack jokes, but Carmen sympathises.

"I'll be here when you wake, Zack. Promise."

The Argentinian bends forward to press a kiss to the race car driver's forehead, ruffling his hair before backing away to the door, "Night, Carm."

"Goodnight, Zack."

Carmen takes a glance to Shadowsan's door further down the hall, she smiles, hand hovering the handle when she pauses. Big day, he probably doesn't wish to be bothered. Carmen leaves.

"Ha, we may finally be catching a break."

"I dunno, Red, it's not like that last caper was a big enough blow." Player says as Carmen hangs her coat.

"Well, any quiet streak good enough for me." The thief assures, picking up her phone and taking it to the charger by her bedside.

"I think it might rain." Red suggests after shuffling under the covers, spying the dark grey clouds sheltering the midnight moon.

"Goodnight, Player."

"Night, Red."

Carmen's eyes shoot open, slowly collecting her breathing to stare out at the night sky. It's pouring, a second streak of light flashes across her bedroom. The thief sighs peacefully, listening to the consequential shuddering of the sky.

Her eyes flutter closed thoughtlessly... but.

"Player?"

"Yeah, Red?"

"You ever get that feeling you're being watched?"

The thought crashes Carmen's brain just as the sky sends another sharp spark of electricity through the her window.