Chapter 7

It was early evening when they stopped for the night. Michael was sure he'd spotted a jackrabbit hopping past and took his rifle to look for it while Beth and Lilly built a fire.

They heard a shot off in the distance and finally Michael returned, carrying a large rabbit, already skinned and ready to roast over the fire.

While Beth and Lilly cooked supper, Michael unharnessed the horses and tethered them nearby. When he was finished, he joined them by the fire, lowering himself into the grass next to Beth. Lilly had wandered a ways off to pick flowers.

"How's she doing?" he asked softly.

"She seems to be doing fine." Beth shook her head. "But I think she's still in shock."

He nodded. "I wonder if she has any family anywhere."

"I don't know. But we can't just leave her with someone."

"I don't know if we can keep her," he shrugged. "What if her family comes looking for her? We'll have to let them take her."

"Well then, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, but I'm not about to go traipsing all over the country searching for family members who may or may not exist and may or may not want to have anything to do with her!"

"Whoa, calm down Beth." He said gently. "I wasn't saying we should go out of our way to get rid of her. We're all she's got right now. I just don't want to see your heart broken when or if you have to suddenly give her up."

"I'll be fine." She got to her feet and walked away from the fire.

"What's wrong with Mrs. Rogan?" Lilly asked a moment later. "She looked upset."

"She's fine," he replied. "We just had a bit of a disagreement is all."

"You're fighting? What are you fighting for?"

"No, Lilly, we're not fighting." He shook his head.

"You didn't yell at her, did you?"

"Of course not."

"Well, it looks like you hurt her feelings."

"How would you know?"

"She looked sad. Just like my Ma used to when my Pa hurt her feelings!" Bursting into tears, Lilly ran to the wagon and climbed inside.

"Oh for crying out loud," Michael muttered, rubbing his eyes. With a deep sigh, he got to his feet and went after Beth. "I'm sorry." He said, walking up behind her.

She quickly wiped a tear from her cheek before she turned to face him.

"I'm sorry for upsetting you. Heck, for all I know, we'll never even have to worry about anything like that. I just.....I just don't want to see you get hurt."

"I know."

"Then why are you crying?"

"I'm not." She said.

He stared at her, not believing it for a moment.

"Alright! I was, but I'm not anymore."

"Come on, we should eat and get to bed." He draped his arm over her shoulder and guided her back towards the fire. "Oh, and by the way, Lilly yelled at me for making you cry."

She laughed. "She did?"

"Yes. I think she's mad at me now. You might have to talk to her."

"I'm sure she'll be fine."

"Well, she's sulking in the wagon if you change your mind."

"I'm sure she'll come out when she finds out supper is done."