Chapter 6

Michael was busy saddling his horse when Beth walked up to him. He'd been quiet since they'd woken up. It was still dark out, but she could tell that something was bothering him.

"Are you alright?" she asked, stepping close and speaking quietly so Lilly couldn't hear.

"I'm fine."

"You don't look fine."

"I said I'm fine." He moved around to the other side of the horse to tighten the straps. He stopped when he felt her hand on his back.

"Michael, I've known you long enough to know when something's bothering you."

He sighed and let the stirrup drop into place. "I don't know who those men were, but they just killed twenty three people." He said grimly. "If I'd known this was going to happen, I never would have let you leave the safety of your house."

"No one could have known this would happen." She said.

"Harris should have paid more attention. We saw those men as early on as the first week. They were just waiting for the opportune time to attack those wagons."

"What could he have done?" she asked. "Ridden over to them and asked them to please stop riding in the same direction we were? Even if he had been more attentive, there probably wasn't anything he could have done."

He dropped his head against the horse's side. "All I can think about is what would have happened if your horse hadn't been lame." He said quietly. "I'm supposed to be protecting you, but how am I supposed to do that with men like that sneaking up on us?"

"I am safe, in case you've forgotten."

He took a deep breath and let it out in a whoosh, reaching for her and pulling her into his arms. "I am going to get you to Oregon safely, so help me."

"I know you will." She said softly.

He cleared his throat and released her. "Sorry."

"You want some help harnessing the horses?" she asked.

"I can get it. Maybe you should check on Lilly."

"I just did. She's still fast asleep. I think we should just let her rest until she wakes up on her own. She's probably exhausted."

"Is there anything I can do?" he asked.

She shook her head. "I don't think so. Just let me know when we're ready to go."

Twenty minutes later, Michael went looking for Beth and found her sitting by the spring in amongst the trees.

"We're ready." He said, taking off his hat and holding out a hand to help her to her feet. He leaned over, noticing that she had reached up and wiped something from her cheek. "Beth, are you crying?"

"I'm fine." She said, getting to her feet and walking back to the wagon.

"Beth, wait!" he hurried after her. When he caught up to her, he grabbed her by the arm and turned her around to look at him. "What's wrong?"

She shook her head, trying to turn away from him. "I miss my pa." she murmured, brushing a tear from her cheek.

Pulling her close, Michael held her for several minutes. "I'm sorry he wasn't able to come." He said softly.

She sobbed, bursting into tears as she buried her face against his shirtfront.

To Michael, it felt like a hand closing around his chest as he held her close, stroking her hair with one hand and rubbing her back with the other. "What can I do?" he asked.