15. Ink and Initiations

Ivy didn't expect Regulus to write any letters at all

Ivy didn't expect Regulus to write any letters at all. In fact, she had even forgotten all about it until a black owl had dropped off a letter one morning, two weeks into the summer break.

Her father had just handed it over to her, complaining about how the owl had bitten him but not prying about who it was from. Neither did her mum question anything. Paige– who usually spent a third of her summer sleeping– was up and about everyday to take extra Quidditch lessons with her team. She'd wake up at the crack of the dawn to apparate to Michael's summer house where they all played until evening. Apparently, the Davies were richer than Ivy had assumed them to be. After all, it seemed rational of her to have gotten that idea considering how down to earth Michael was, unlike the many haughty rich students she had met in her time at Hogwarts.

But for now, Ivy sat at her desk, a black envelope in her hands staring at it. She still didn't know how she felt about this. Her relation with Regulus definitely had taken quite a...weird turn this year.

The envelope felt rich and lavish under her fingers– no doubt of a fine quality. And a 'Miss Ivy Binns' written in golden ink stared back at her, in the most annoyingly beautiful calligraphy she had ever seen. She flipped the envelope over to open it and saw that it was sealed with a stamp on wax. The forest green of the wax looked starking on the black of the envelope. The wax seal consisted of a simple wreath. Ivy tried looking closely at what the leaves were but she couldn't tell. It must've been a personal seal. The invitation letter for the Yule Ball had been sealed with the Black Family Insignia.

Her thoughts took her back to a few months ago. She had traced the insignia, read the words engraved on it.

Toujours Pur. Always Pure.

There were a number of thoughts that had pooled into her brain. Regulus was also a member of the Black House. Apart from the actual disagreements between them, the one thing that had allowed her to keep hating him was the fact that he was one of the Sacred Twenty-Eight. That he too took pride in his pureblood status and thought everyone else was beneath him. Now that the dynamic of their relation was shifting, Ivy wondered if it was okay for her to allow herself to initiate whatever that was going on between them? She shook off the thoughts, she felt like she didn't want to talk about it.

Ivy carefully peeled the seal, taking out the letter, and she could already tell it was written in the finest pages ever. One thing was for sure. Even if she did decide to write back to him, none of it would be as lavish as all this.

Ivy had to give it to Regulus; he was a neat person. The letter was tidily written, no drops of ink splattered, no accidental smearing. She shouldn't have been surprised though, He had always been orderly. His attire, the way he carried himself, the way he spoke. Ivy pushed away the thoughts and focused on the letter in her hand.

Greetings!

Did I just spend an hour trying to find a fitting salutation? Maybe. Am I still satisfied? No. Greetings sounds so plain and boring. But nothing else fit. 'Dear Binns' sounded too friendly. And I suppose if I had called you dear, you wouldn't have written me back