9. Yule and Yule Balls

The Hogwarts Express sat still on the King’s Cross Station as students disembarked out with their luggage

The Hogwarts Express sat still on the King’s Cross Station as students disembarked out with their luggage. The platform was filled with expectant families, students looking around for their parents to meet after months. Everybody was clothed in warm fuzzy coats and sweaters and scarves— all in fashion for the holiday season. Ivy and Paige bade Lexi and Maria goodbye as they carried their trunks outside, looking around for their parents.

“Girls!” They turned their heads behind to their father calling, both rushing in to envelope Mr and Mrs Binns in hugs. “Oh, I’ve missed you both so much,” Amelia Binns exclaimed, pulling Ivy’s beanie down over her blonde hair, which fell in delicate curls over her shoulders. “My, my what did you girls do to your hair?” Henry Binns commented, noticing Paige's hair which had been chopped off till her neck. He held their trunks as they all slowly made their way to the car, chattering.

“It was a spur of the moment decision this morning,” Ivy exclaimed. “Alexis thought it was a good idea to bring a little change for the holiday season. I trimmed and curled mine, Paige decided to cut them all off.” “Does it suit me, mum?” Paige asked, taking her knitted cap off to run a hand through them. “You do look very nice,” her mum commented. “Now come on, put the cap back on, it's cold.” “I look prettier than Ivy, right?”

“Of course,” Mr. Binns answered, loading the trunks in the back of the car “My favourite daughter looks the prettiest.” He winked secretly at Ivy, catching her eye. Paige looked pleased as she sat inside the car, not having noticed the wink. Ivy smiled. Although their parents loved them both equally, Paige had always been a daddy’s girl, while Ivy was closer to her mum.

“Alright now,” their father said as they all were seated in the car. “How about we stop by for some hot chocolate and christmas treats at the bakery before heading home?” He got his answer from the hollers of yay as the girls excitedly thought about drinking warm coffee and hot chocolate and all the delicious baked goods. Brownies, cupcakes, treacle tarts, pies and more mouth watering stuff.

▫――――――――――――――▫

Back at the station, Ivy hadn’t noticed the pair of eyes on her that had followed her all the way till she was out of sight. He was lost in bitter thoughts when a hand on his shoulder pulled him out of the dense spiral his thoughts were leading him into. Regulus flinched, looking back. "My parents are here," Thomas Nott informed. Regulus nodded vaguely. "See you after the holidays." He said.

"Or maybe during them." Thomas added with a smile. "Are your parents holding a Yule party or something?" Regulus asked.

Thomas shook his head. "Not my parents," he said. "Yours."

Regulus gave him a blank stare. "My sister wrote to me a while back that she had overheard our mothers talking about an expectant Yule ball this christmas." Thomas explained. "Oh." was all Regulus managed to reply.