Chapter 43: Maple Residence Gathering

Começar do início

"When we were serving in the army, Jacob made a mistake, so his old man sent him to the cooking shift for almost half a year. In that time, we'd always run over to his place late at night to eat," Xavier explained and walked over.

A while after that, the dishes were done. The five of them sat around the table. Across the husband and wife were Jacob and Daniels. Standing, James poured the wine into their glasses.

Jacob and Daniels exchanged glances simultaneously as they started to examine the couple, Xavier and Arya. In just one glimpse, they actually felt that there was underlying chemistry and they looked very fitting. In fact, they acted like a couple that had been married for years such as right now.

Xavier took the bottle of wine that James served and Arya, who was looking down, had looked up in that instant. She exchanged a wet handkerchief with the wine in his hand.

Then, he said, "Here's some whiskey. This one isn't suitable for you, so you're only allowed to taste a little of it, hmm?"

She looked at the glass that contained a wee bit of whiskey. After some thought, she then lightly nodded.

...

Jacob silently observed the married couple, Xavier and Arya, across him for quite a while, before finally sighing to himself and announcing,

"Look at you two. Since the deed is done, Daniel and I don't know what else we can say. As your brothers, we can only sincerely wish you well. May you two live well and give birth to a chubby little one for us to play with next year!"

As he said this, his eyes fell onto Arya, his voice at ease.

"Sis-in-law... Eh, I think it's better if I call you Arya. Otherwise, calling you Sis-in-law feels a little too weird. Xavier is number two among the three of us, yet he's the one that's lacking love the most. Since you've married him, you'd better guard him well. He's a pretty steady fella. This one... You won't lose out by sticking to him."

"I agree with Jacob too, Sis-in-law Arya. We'll hand Xavier to you now. You'd better care for him well and give him warmth. We buddies wish you well. Come, let's drink to this!"

Arya listened and then quietly turned to gaze at him. She then smiled and nodded gently before cheerfully raising her glass and smiling.

"Thank you all."

Clink!

The sound of the wine glasses gently tinkling was heard. The beautiful light glided in a curve in the glass as they downed the wine.

"Right, is Nora coming back for the New Year this year? That girl called me last month, telling me to get her a driving license. She's probably planning to return to the country." Jacob poured himself a drink as he turned to Xavier to ask.

"She's only returning after the New Year. Grandfather and Grandmother are worried about letting her live abroad alone for a long period of time," Xavier answered. He fell silent for a moment, then continued,

"After Imperial Sky Entertainment City is up and running, we'll let her take over it."

"That girl's been growing these few years. Do you really dare to let her take over? Aren't you worried she'll be taken advantage of?" Daniels lifted his glass of wine for a sip and smiled as he teased.

"Does she look like someone who's willing to make a loss? Just with her personality, others will be taken advantage of, but not her!"

Jacob looked disapprovingly at Daniels. He laughed, swiveling to Xavier. When he saw that he remained calm and Arya seemed puzzled, he thought about it, and then set the topic aisde. He did not continue pursuing it any further...