Chapter 04

"Hey, Red. Come on over. Help yourself." The man who had saved Ian on the bridge called him over at the BBQ.

"Thanks." Ian smiled back, happy to be there.

"See those two kids right there playing football? Those are mine. That's Charlie and Wes." He pointed to the kids playing in the field.

"Where you been?" Caleb wondered, walking over to join them.

"Oh, I got held up." Ian said, not wanting to tell them he had just been kicked out of his home.

"You ever pitch?" Caleb asked.

"Usually, but I'm open, depending on what you're into. Where we doing this?" Ian asked trying to be seductive and clearly having gotten the wrong message.

"Follow me." Caleb led him off.

"Wait, we're actually playing softball?" Ian asked confused as they reached the softball field.

"Yeah, what'd you think?" Caleb laughed. "Zach usually starts on the mound, but if he's had too many Coronas, his stuff is shit. You cover second." Caleb handed him a firefighter team shirt and a glove.

"What? You play, right?" Caleb asked seeing Ian's amused face watching the players getting ready.

"Oh, sure, I play." Ian claimed still shocked by the turn of events.

"We'll need all the help we can get. If we lose to the boys in blue, we'll never hear the end of it."

"Who?"

"The gay cops." Caleb looked over as two police officers walked over.

"You have the right to remain silent while we run the score up on your sorry asses." Tony called out as he approached them.

"Tony?" Ian asked in shock at seeing one of his sisters ex boyfriends. "Wh--" Ian started with a laugh as Tony hugged him in greeting. "When did you come out?"

"Oh, your sister turned me gay." Tony said casually.

"Oh, wow." Ian nodded, surprise written all over his face.

Soon enough the game began and everyone was in it to win it. "One out." Caleb called out as people on the sides clapped and cheered for the teams. "One out. Look alive, boys! Look alive!" He called out again. "Look alive, baby!"

"One, two, and three!" The ball was thrown from man to man, making its way around the field.

"Two! Two!" Caleb called as Ian caught it next.

"You're blocking the baseline." A police officer scolded as he stood to face Ian after sliding at his feet. He gave Ian a shove back which caused Ian to scoff in response.

"Go fuck your father." Ian told him, ripping off his glove and punching the police officer. A large yet playful and drunken fight broke out between the teams of cops and firefighters.

"Hey, how about another shot for the Hands of Steel?" One of the firefighters asked, the team sitting around the picnic tables now that the game had ended.

"That one's for you, slugger." He told Ian as they all clinked shot glasses and drank.

"So when you gonna take the test?" He asked Ian next with curiosity.

"Test?" Ian asked, confused as to what he was talking about.

"To become a firefighter, man! Whoa!" He sat on the table but fell back, laughing while his husband caught him and pulled him away from Ian and Caleb, the others dispersing as well.

"Oh, man." Calebs laughter died down.

"Okay, those guys are wasted." Ian shook his head, laughing himself.