It pained him that there was a large chance it may not survive harsh winter. America stared at it, his mouth slightly agape. Russia thought about it, he couldn't let something America liked get hurt..

Russia sighed and left the room. The bear was obviously a runt, wobbling around and being less social. It may not even survive the basic stages of life. Usually Russia would just let the natural selection take it's toll, but he couldn't bring himself to ignore it when America seemed so wowed by it.

Russia grabbed his thick coat and stepped outside, slowly making his way to where the bears played. No matter how sad it was, the mother hardly wanted anything to do with her albino cub, letting it run off.

Russia got closer to the bears, nodding in conclusion that the bears were kamchatka brown bears. He was unsure how the mom bear would react, but he still tried to get the little ones attention.

Once the little bear had finally decided to stray away from the others, and Russia got it far enough, he squatted down to try and coax it into his arms. It was a clumsy little bear, falling and wobbling towards him.

Russia chuckled slightly, a little saddened by the obvious neglect the bear had experienced. It eventually got close enough to try and chew on his fingers, wanting to play. Russia scooped up the surprisingly little bear in his arms, inspecting it for ticks or any other immediate disease.

He knew it was risky to bring a wild animal into his house, around a sick person nonetheless, but America seemed so entranced. He would treat parasites soon, after he had America help him check what gender it was.

He went back inside and to Americas room, bringing the bear with him. "Oh hey Russia, you're bac- Thats a baby bear!!" America said, erupting into little wiggles and squeals.

Russia chuckled fondly. "Yes, it is. I couldn't leave it, it would have died. Help me with this real quickly." Russia said, handing the wiggly little bear to America.

He looked like he was about to explode, the bear was beyond adorable in his eyes. Russia took the opportunity to check it's genitals. "A boy." America said, before Russia could even glance the bears direction. Russia raised an eyebrow as he looked at America.

"How do you know?" Russia asked, absentmindedly checking the cabinets and drawers for something he could give the bear for parasites.

"Well for starters, the ears are pretty normal sized. Like- not too big for the face. And it's got stumpy legs." America said, holding the bear like a baby. Russia grabbed a small bottle of de-wormer and walked over to America.

"Nice observations, where did you learn that?" America smiled. "A good friend."

Flashback•

Thirteen ran along the small stream, glad to be out of the house again. Canada was taking his "prince" classes so America technically wasn't supposed to be outside. He never understood why he couldn't be outside without New France. Thirteen ran along the streams in an aloof manner, bounding away in childlike innocence. He suddenly stopped, wowed by what he saw. Some days when he would go outside and there may be a duck or a goose, but no. There, in all its glory, was a bear. Thirteen stared at it with awe, and crouched down as to not be seen. He had only ever seen bears in books, never in real life before. He stared at him, so entranced that he didn't even hear another person sneaking up behind him and crouching next to him. "That's a beauty, eh?" The other said, whispering. Thirteen whipped his head around, startled. The other put their finger over their mouth, and pointed to he bear. "Shh. You see that? That bears a girl." They said, a small smile on their face. Thirteen studied the bear, tilting his head. "How can you tell?" He asked, curious. "See the ears? They look muy grande, very big for the head. And the legs, the legs are skinny. More skinny, anyway." The other said. America observed the bear, and watched it as it walked away from the stream. "Off she goes." The other said, a smile still on their face as they stood up. Thirteen was quick to stand up, looking at the other. "Who are you?" Thirteen asked, his voice quick and nervous. The other smiled. They had a green, white, and red flag, yet it looked like it was chipping away. It was very faded, a red line could be seen at the bottom of their face where the chips of their previous flag had started. "I'm Mexican Cession." They said. They looked older, maybe in their early twenties, and very earthly. Their thick hair tied back, and their very prominent facial structure standing out against their clothes of earth-like tones. They wore a cloth around their shoulders and they held a basket filled with what seemed like herbs. Thirteen stared at this person with awe, they were so different from the colorless life he had endured.

~.-.~

Canada sat at the table, staring at the food on the table. He was grateful for Mexico and the shelter she was providing, but didn't this seem like a bit.. much? Ukraine seemed to be enjoying the attention.

She had sat he and Ukraine in the head seats, everyone fussing over them and asking them questions. It didn't help that Brazil was smirking and winking at Ukraine.

Canada couldn't find the right time to tell the table about America, and Ukraine could see Canada getting anxious. "Hey, uh, there is actually something we need to ask." Ukraine said, getting everyone's attention.

He looked to Canada and nodded. Canada seemed grateful, but he kind of froze up when he saw everyone staring at him. "Well, uh, erm." He tried to start. Mexico looked curious. He could see Chile look at him suspiciously. He was about to say 'nevermind', when he felt a hand slip on top of his under the table. Canada glanced at Ukraine, then took a deep breath.

"It's about America."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HEY HI! One full month since I posted, one full month I had time to fill up my brain with ideas. SO SORRY FOR THE LACK OF UPDATES, but I needed a break. I hope you all enjoy this long-ish chapter I made as a filler and on a whim that will have some-eort of plot significance later.

BYE!

(P.S this story is at danger by the KOSA bill that may or may not be passed on Thursday. If it is, may this be my final farewell. 🥲 if it isn't, YAY!)