chapter 3

Alessia

I fade in and out of consciousness, never truly knowing what my dreams are or what reality is.

     But when I wake next, it's to the sound of low voices. I only manage to catch snippets of the words being exchanged.

     "Not sane enough...extra medication...she'll have to be kept under a careful watch..."

     "Don't let family know...keep it all private..."

     I fall asleep before I can hear any more.

I'm crocheting in the library as Matteo reads his book. I'm making a new pair of gloves for Elena because she always complains about her hands getting cold during the night.

I look up when someone drops down into the seat beside me. Bella.

     "Where did you get that?" She asks sharply.

     "None of your business." I reply.

     Matteo watches us.

     "Why should you get special privileges?" She questions.

     "Because I'm better than you." I tell her.

     She smirks, and I can't say that she doesn't look very beautiful in this moment as the light from the small window illuminates her face, showcasing natural highlights at different spots on her brown face.

"You wish." She says with a small laugh. I crack a smile. She nods down to my yarn. "That for me?"

     "You wish." I reply easily, stealing her words. "It's for Elena."

     "Ah." She whispers. She tilts her head. "You've never made me anything."

     "I need the toilet." Matteo murmurs before standing and walking away. I watch him go for a moment before turning to Bella.

     "Do you want me to?"

     "What can you make?"

     "Anything." I tell her. "I'm very good at it."

     "Okay. Make me a cardigan, then."

     "What colour do you want?" I ask.

     "Hmm." She thinks for a moment, leaning closer to me. I feel my cheeks heat a little, but I don't know why. I look down, focusing on the stitches I'm doing and hoping she can't see my red face. "Blue."

     "Light or dark?"

     "Light."

     "Okay. I'll make a light blue cardigan for you."

     "Can't wait." She says, and from the corner of my eye I see her smile. My own lips tick up.

Elena

We're in a lunch hall, not unlike the one we used to go to everyday. It brings back faint memories, but I don't tap into them, deciding to leave them be as I eat the delicious yet plain food in front of me. Despite its taste, it's more than I've ever gotten in one sitting.

Romeo, Antonio and Luca sit across from us as we eat our food. We haven't really talked yet, but after I woke up a bit more I climbed out of bed and asked when lunch was. My brother and I were quickly guided here.