[20] The Hardest Thing

"There's something I've been meaning to tell you." His father's deep, stern voice made Killua feel terrified.

Killua stayed silent, unable to speak no matter how hard he tried.

"When I leave for Washington in a few weeks, you'll be going with me. I figured you were overdue for the opportunities of truly learning business. You'll take over my company one day, and I want you to do it well." Silva cleared his throat. "Besides, it might help you grow out of...whatever you have going on with our neighbors' son."

And suddenly, Killua's world went quiet. He could head the faint clock tick in unison with his blood flow in his ears. He swallowed the lump in his throat and pursed his lips. He parted his lips as he trembled under the gaze of his entire family. All but one.

"Are you serious?" Killua whispered, staring at Kalluto, heart full with utter betrayal. Tears brimmed in his eyes. "Kalluto, are you fucking kidding me?"

"Killua, watch your language!" Kikyo shouted, taken aback. Kalluto buried his face into his mother's shoulder in shame.

"I must admit, I'm surprised you became so much like him."

Killua let out an exasperated scoff. "Oh, so, now you acknowledge his existence?"

"Killua, don't start." Kikyo warned.

"My own younger siblings don't even know they had two other older brothers!" Killua exclaimed, throwing his hands up.

"Shut your mouth, Killua, this isn't the point of the conversation." Kikyo demanded.

Killua listened and paused. He scoffed and shook his head.

"So, what about after Washington? You're disowning me too? I mean, how many sons are you going to lose over intolerance and utter stupidity before you realize you're all alone?" Killua laughed nervously. "You two don't even love each other."

Silence settled and Kalluto began crying. Killua scoffed at his behavior as he grew increasingly angry. If anything would sober him up, it would be an argument with both of his parents.

"We're not mad, we just don't think it's wise of you to...throw away your relationship with God for—for some boy from New York." Kikyo sighed. "I think focusing on school and your bright future will help better your relationship with God."

"Save it, Mom, God doesn't care one bit about people like me. He's a self-righteous bastard who gets off on the sufferings of others. I see no point in worshipping a God who only cares for himself."

"You take that back, Killua!" Kikyo shouted. "God has given you so many blessings, you oughta be grateful for all that you have!"

"Mental illnesses and the lot of you aren't what I'd call blessings."

"Don't you insult me that way. I brought you into this world and I can take you right back out."

"Then please do!" Killua basically begged. "You can't just rip me away from everything I care about over something this mundane."

"If Gon really is everything you care about, then maybe it's time for you to cut ties with him." Silva interrupted.

Killua hesitated angrily, desperate to say something, but he couldn't just yet. He clenched his fists and pursed his lips, glowering at his parents. He just wanted Gon.