Then Pia carefully hugged Joanna, kissing her both cheeks and Max and Charles managed to do some sort of a boyish handshake. The Italian couldn't hide her surprise when the Dutchman began to speak to the Ferrari diver. The Max she knew would do everything possible to avoid talking to Charles.

"I'll go get us some refreshment," the Italian said a bit uncomfortable because she didn't know what else to do really. Max and Joanna were both with Charles which made Pia feel like she was uninvited plus one.

"How thoughtful of you. Max is going to help you, right, Schatz?" The Austrian nudged her boyfriend.

Before Max could respond, Pia interjected, her voice laced with a mix of resignation and understanding. "It's okay. You don't have to," she said, offering him a weak smile. With that, she turned away and made her way into the kitchen.

Pia opened the fridge to get out some of the fruit that she could offer to their visitors. She got out a bowl full of cherries, half of the watermelon and two pomegranates that she bought yesterday at the local market with Charles. She was embracing the Monegasque style of life more than she thought she would. She liked how casual they were.

As Pia began to peel the pomegranates, she heard footsteps behind her. Turning around, she was surprised to see Max standing there.

"Hey," he started, his voice hesitant yet sincere. "Can I help you with anything?"

Pia's surprise lingered for a moment before she nodded appreciatively. "Yeah, sure. That would be great," she replied, mustering a small smile. "Could you grab some glasses from the cabinet over there?"

Max nodded and moved to get the glasses, joining Pia at the counter. "There's a jug full of water with lemon and mint in the fridge. Could you please pour it into the glasses?"

"Yep," he agreed. They worked in silence for a few moments, a gentle tension lingering in the air. Pia observed Max from the corner of her eye, hoping he would say something, but he didn't.

"Joanna isn't allergic to cherries, is she?" The Italian muttered as she washed the cherries under the cold water in a sink.

"Is anyone?" The Red Bull driver asked her.

"Look, Max. I'm really sorry about it all. I said things I shouldn't have said." Pia's voice trembled with sincerity as she spoke, her gaze fixed on the cherries in her hands. She felt a weight lifted off her chest, finally expressing the guilt she had been carrying.

Max paused for a moment, his eyes softening as he listened to her words. He reached out and placed a hand on her arm, offering a gesture of reassurance. "Pia, I should apologise too. I let my stubbornness get in the way, and I said things I didn't mean," he admitted, his voice tinged with regret.

"I wanted to congratulate you. Joanna told me it's a boy. I'm so incredibly happy for you," Pia said, her voice filled with genuine joy for Max.

"Yeah, I'm so excited, but I don't know. What if I-" Max's voice trailed off, uncertainty clouding his thoughts.

"Stop it, Maxy. I already know what you want to say. You'll be the best father," she placed her hand on his chin and caressed his cheek lightly with her thumb. "You'll be the father you deserved." The Italian sighted. "I'm so so sorry that I said you're like him. You're nothing like him, Max. You are so much better. I think he's afraid of how great of a human being you are."

The Dutchman didn't know what to say. It meant a lot to him. More than he would ever admit. His father was the skeleton in the closet who kept creeping into his life. "Thank you," he muttered.

Pia smiled warmly at Max; her eyes filled with sincerity. "You don't have to thank me, Max. I mean every word," she assured him. It wasn't like everything was suddenly good and forgotten. There was still a big crack in their friendship, and they knew they would have to work hard if they wanted to fix it.