Chapter 26- Cracks

En başından başla

"I was just leaving. I've got a meeting with the council that may last a few hours." Annabelle stood, placing a soft peck on the younger woman's lips. "See you soon darling."

Emily watched the tall woman take the room in big strides, quickly leaving them behind.
"What's up blondie? How's my baby boy?" Victoria asked after she'd stopped herself from staring after the hybrid.
Emily hummed, sitting in the couch near the window. "He's okay, does not like sleeping in the crib. It's horrible trying to put him down now." She spoke thoughtfully. "But that's not what I'm here for."

"Oh?"
"Oh indeed. I wanted to know if you had any ideas about what I should get Annabelle for her birthday."
Victoria laughed, quickly covering her mouth at her own reaction. "I'm sorry," she sputtered. "I don't even remember how old she is."

That earned a deep eyeroll from Emily. "Yeah well, I don't care how old she is. I just wanna get her something nice."
"Honestly, she doesn't like presents." Victoria concluded. "If you really want to give her something...give her your patience. Be patient with her. I think that's the only thing the queen needs."

The words resonated in a way the blonde didn't expect. "Victoria..."
"Hm?" the wolf looked up from fumbling through the drawers of her dresser.
"I have so many feelings for this woman, feelings I can hardly explain. It makes me want to please her, to do everything in my power to make her happy." Emily sighed. "She was my first sexual experience, the mother of our child. I've never even been in a relationship before this one."

Victoria raised a brow, unsure of where the conversation was going.
"But...there's this nagging feeling, one that I've been avoiding, one that claws at me ever so often, that I may never be enough for Annabelle. I've ventured out of my comfort zone; done things I think she'd enjoy—"

"What about you?" Victoria cut her off. "What about making yourself happy? Pleasing yourself? Finding yourself, loving yourself?" she held the blonde's cheek, concern on her face. "You're no longer her pet Emily."

The taller woman sat beside her on the couch, giving her hand a tender squeeze. "I don't have the answers you're looking for." Maybe that was too direct? She sighed. "If something doesn't feel right, the only advice I can give in good conscience is maybe you need to address why you feel that way."

Emily gave her a small nod before insisting she should go check on the baby. The wolf tried her best not to be too harsh, but boundaries had to be set, it was a necessary evil. They would have to figure out their troubles on their own. She had more than enough on her own plate.

There was so much Victoria could say about the relationship the two women had—but she'd promised herself to stay out of it. She returned on the day of the war and the two seemed to have been in perfect sync. Their dynamic had changed so much since the day Victoria went down, and it did come as a surprise to her—at first. But she'd quickly accepted that they made each other happy. Emily having grown on her as well, she just wanted them both to be happy. Annabelle had her ways; grief ruined her. She'd slowly arrived at the conclusion that the Annabelle she knew, the princess she fell in love with was nothing close to the woman Emily experienced. She almost felt sorry for the younger woman.

And it made her feel guilty.

Victoria obviously decided to keep the baby. It wasn't a decision she took lightly, and Tristan had expressed his understanding with whatever she would decide. The fact was, she'd gone almost eighty years thinking there wasn't even a chance of her ever having a child of her own.

She chuckled dryly at the thought as she continued to get dressed. Life is funny, she decided. It's funny in a way that's almost cruel. She literally had to die for this to happen. Having only ever been with other women, she would have never found out...it wasn't her fault.