Chapter 4

I was stealing the shirt Michael had given me, but that couldn't be helped. One of the brothers had taken my clothes, I had presumed to wash them, and now I didn't know where they were. If I suddenly emerged from my room all blotchy in the face from crying and demanded they return my clothes they would know something was up.

A glance out the window told me it was late enough to attempt leaving. I quietly opened the door to my room, not bothering to shut it behind me. As slowly as I dared I crept down the stairs to the door, cringing at sound that probably came from my own head.

Just as I touched the front door, I heard a voice call "I wouldn't leave if I were you." I was so on edge, I jumped about a mile in the air and screamed. Adam took the opportunity to get between me and the door. I began to fight to get past him.

"Regina, you don't understand.." Adam began. I understood just fine.

"Let her go." Michael said from the foot of the stairs. To be honest, I had expected that if I was caught it would be Adam fighting my case, not Michael. He just seemed the nicer one of the two.

"What, are you crazy?" Adam sounded indignant. I had been only half hearted in my attempts up until then, because despite everything they had been good to me. I lost my patience at that.

"I can't believe I'm the same species as something so cold. You disgust me, kidnapping a teenage girl and feeding her all this bullcrap about how she's a princess. I feel sorry for Michael, who at least has the decency to even think about me, having you as a brother." I spat.

Adam's voice turned bitter and sarcastic, and a cruel glint came into his eyes. "Fine, honey. You asked for it." He flung the door open. Imbalanced at the sudden mood swing, I looked between the two brothers. "Well, what are you waiting for? You're so eager to get away from my disgusting presence, just go!" Adam shouted.

I walked slowly out the door. The night was calm, and I could hear crickets chirping. The calm after the storm. I began the long trek home.

Again I remembered my (adoptive) parents. They must have been so worried about me, gone for a day and a half. That was only a day and a half? It felt like a month.

I arrived at home just as the sun was rising. I chose to see it as a good omen. Rejecting the darkness for the light and whatnot. I didn't have my keys, as they were in my pocket. I was shivering in Adam's shirt, and grateful that they hadn't taken my shoes as well.

I knocked on the door, and my mother's tear stained face greeted me. "PHILLIP! SHE'S HOME!" she called before sweeping into a bone crushing hug. I decided then not to tell them the truth. I saw my Dad rush into the hall from the kitchen, then start towards me. I was home.

I sat in my own kitchen, in clothes that were mercifully my own and mercifully warm. I also took a moment to appreciate that they were dry. I was grateful for the long walk home which had given me time to think of a good excuse, just in case. I was currently giving it to my parents.

"Just as the first drops fell I realised I had forgotten my phone. I started looking around for houses for help like you told me to do if that ever happened, but I couldn't see any. The rain was getting really thick, and luckily I saw a cabin just inside the woods. There was a fireplace and an apple tree just outside the door, so I ate a few of those when I got hungry. I waited til the storm broke before attempting to go home." Well, the last part was true, at least.

The worst part was, my parents weren't even mad. They knew it was the first time it had happened to me. I wondered if they would have been as accepting had I told them the whole truth. The truth seemed pretty far-fetched now in the light of my own ordinary kitchen. My parents would have thought that I was crazy had I told them.

"You did the right thing." My father told me firmly. Looking into his eyes, I believed it. I wasn't meant for any life but this, no matter what two gorgeous boys and my stomach told me.

Today was Sunday. I got a half day every Friday, and generally used it to go hiking. I decided to be brave.

"Hey Dad, who lives in that big estate house? You know the one with the massive lawn that's really well kept, even though nobody ever sees anybody maintaining it.." I asked nonchalantly, even though inside I was sweating like a pig. My dad frowned.

"I'm not sure Gina, I didn't think anybody did. Why?" I shrugged to deflect suspicion.

"Oh, I just passed it on my walk home and wondered who lived there. I didn't have anything else to think about." I said, keeping my voice casual.

My mother started. "Oh, I'd better ring the police to tell them that you're home." I sighed, although she had taken the attention away from my probi "And the school," she added, to my growing horror. She balked at my face, but continued. "And.. the newspaper." I shrieked.