Chapter 2

When Michael returned he led me up the stairs to my bedroom for the night. I had to reign in my staring, but honestly the place was like something from Pride and Prejudice. I gasped when he opened the door with a mock bow.

I had a four poster bed. with curtains and everything. I mean, four poster beds have been a dream of mine since I read Harry Potter for the first time. It was in the centre of the room, on a raised dais. There were oak drawers about the room, and I might have spied my own ensuite bathroom through the door. The rain was worth it. Looking like a drowned rat in front of two of the best looking guys I've ever seen in real life was worth it. This was the coolest room I had ever been in. And I got to sleep in it. I was in heaven.

Michael laughed at the rapt look on my face. "Is it to your liking, Madame?" He asked. I just nodded dumbly at him. He threw something soft at me. "It's one of Adam's shirts," he explained. "you'll be swamped in it. It will do you as a nightdress until we ge- I mean for the night. I'll just leave you to get changed and sleep, you must be exhausted. Goodnight, Regina. If you need anything Adam and I are just down the hall." And with that, he left.

I changed into my borrowed pyjamas and washed my teeth and face in the (I was right) ensuite. After I had carefully folded my clothes and placed them on one of the chairs I practically bounded to the bed before snuggling into it. From the feel of it, the mattress was made of a mix of goose down and rainbows. I hugged one of the many pillows to my face and thought.

Yes, these brothers were certainly strange. They were so polite, which is strange these days. I was also certain that nobody had seen them before, as I lived in a relatively small town and every eligible young woman (and many who were neither) would be swooning over them. Especially Adam. And what was with the massive house that Adam apparently owned? He must have inherited it.

Suddenly I kicked myself for asking about their parents. It made sense that Michael was living with Adam. Their parents must have been dead.. Well, there was no use in worrying about it now. They hadn't seemed to mind. And with that, I snuggled further into the bed and fell asleep within minutes.

The next morning I changed into my clothes from yesterday. I hadn't been attacked during the night, which was good. In fact, the only thing hurting me was my stomach. I was starving.

As I made my way downstairs (not on the banister.... this time) voices became clearer from the kitchen. Adam and Michael were discussing something serious by the sound of it.

Despite myself, I slowed outside the door to hear what they were saying.

"She clearly has no idea." That was Michael. Who were they talking about?

"But Regina must be the one. She survived, which mean she can reside in both realms. We both know there's only one person that can do that." I stifled a gasp. I had no idea what the hell any of that meant.

"How are we going to tell her?"

I chose to enter at that moment. The boys were sitting around the counter, which was covered in breakfast things like fruit and muesli. "Tell who what?" I asked chirpily. Until I found out what all this was about, there was no way they could find out that I had been eavesdropping.

The brothers exchanged uneasy glances. After what seemed like minutes, Michael finally said "You're going to think we're crazy.". I already had my opinions on that. I nodded for them to continue anyway.

"Regina." Adam said. "Regina," he tried again. "what is your opinion on.. the existence of other dimensions?"

I snorted. "Come on, be serious." Michael sighed.

"I am being serious. Answer the question." Adam insisted. I thought for a moment.

"I suppose I have a pretty agnostic view towards them. They could exist, but we have no way of knowing." Michael nodded, impressed.

"What if I told you that you are currently.. in a separate dimension to what you have grown up in?" Adam said. He looked resigned, like he knew I wouldn't believe him but he had to say it anyway.

"I obviously wouldn't believe you." I said slowly. They both looked dead serious.

"This is going to be difficult." Michael muttered. He took over with what I hoped was the ruse.

"Regina, you might want to sit down." I sat, and my stomach growled and reminded me that I was very hungry. Without a word, Adam started pouring out a bowl of cereal for me. I accepted it, nodding my thanks.

"You come from a different realm. The same realm that we live in. We don't have a name for it, in the same way that you humans don't have a name for your realm. The name of the planet we live on, however, is Terra. Now, this is probably a lot to take in.."

My eyes were as wide as saucers. It was a lot to take in, even if it was only a joke. But it was too complex for a practical joke on a stranger. Maybe it was a con..

"The doorway to this house is one of the few portals between Earth and Terra. Nobody apart from royalty in our realm can go between, and we haven't ever had a visitor from earth who has survived." Adam said it like he was giving bad news, or maybe a lecture in a college.

I nodded slowly. "Alright, I'll bite. You can't be the exact same as humans, can you? No, that would be too normal. What are the differences between our species?" Michael cut in.

"Actually, we're not a different species by your definition. We could have children together, and our children would have children. Two creatures are only of different species if their offspring are barren."

Adam gave Michael a look. "Whenever you humans see us, you call us daemons. We are stronger and faster than the average human, and we are also more violent. But do not make the mistake of calling us barbaric. We are almost as developed as you humans."

"Is there anything that would prove that everything you are seeing is true?" I asked. Michael nodded.

"We could run faster and lift heavier weights than the average human, but that won't prove it to you. Our eyes can change colour when we're angry.." Michael trailed off. Suddenly he drew back his fist and drove it into Adam's stomach. My hands flew to my mouth. Although Adam looked like he had abs of steel, he doubled over and wheezed. He straightened up almost immediately, and I saw what Michael meant. Adam's brown eyes were now crimson. That didn't prove it to me though, they needed to work harder to trick me.

"He could be using contacts." I said. After a second, Adam, still rubbing his stomach, grabbed an apple from the counter. He walked out to the hall, while Michael and I followed. Adam made sure I was watching before opening the door and tossing the apple out. The moment it hit the ground it turned to ash. That certainly couldn't be faked. But..

"Wait a second. You said that humans can't enter your realm. I'm human, and I entered. What if I turned to dust?" Adam and Michael looked sheepish. "Why would you just let me die? You could have sent me away!"

"Haven't you been listening?" Michael asked. "Adam and I were sent here for a reason. Years ago, a princess was sent away to Earth in a freak accident. We have been stationed here to wait for your return in case you were drawn here, which it seems like you were. We were instructed to let girls that look like you in in case they were the missing princess."

Suddenly the magical four poster bed made a lot more sense.