"Does it show any weaknesses?"

"Well, one—it can't swim."

"Does that go for Jackson as well?" Deaton urgently asked.

"He's captain of the swim team. That'd be a big no." I added.

"You're essentially trying to catch two people." Deaton continued, not missing a beat to think. He walked over to the cabinets once again, grabbing something out of the drawers this time. He jutted his hand to show us a metal pendant. "A puppet. And a puppeteer." He placed the object on the table. "One killed the husband but the other had to take care of the wife, do we know why?"

"I don't think Jackson could do it. His mother died pregnant too, and she was maybe murdered. I don't think he could let the same thing happen to someone else."

"I don't think he's exactly having an option whether he wants to our not, Scott." I disagreed.

"How do you know it's not part of the rules? The Kanima kills murderers. If Jackson kills the wife, then the baby dies too."

"Does that mean your father was a murderer?" Scott blatantly asked. I looked to my brother in utter shock, quickly shoving him in the gut with my elbow. "Hey!" He muttered.

"You'll heal." I gritted through my teeth. 

"It wouldn't surprise me if he was." Isaac uncomfortably replied. A pang of sympathy rang through me. Nobody deserved a father like that.

"The book says they're bonded right?" Deaton asked. Derek nodded in reply. "What if the fear of water isn't coming from Jackson, but from the person controlling him? What if, something that affects the Kanima, also affects its master." He proposed, taking the lid off a jar filled with black powder and pouring it in a circle around the pendant he held before.

"Meaning what?"

"Meaning we can catch them!" Scott exclaimed.

"Both of them?" I raised a brow. Deaton nodded with a grin. 

"Well," Isaac announced, shifting the conversation, "if that's all for today's magic show, I've got other places I'm more welcome to be." He exited out into the hall without another word. I looked over to Scott, raising my brow and awaiting for Scott to go after him. 

"What?" He obliviously wondered. I tossed my hands up, shaking my head as I silently shot Scott the knowing look that he was an absolute and utter moron. Scott heavily sighed.

"Isaac, wait!" Scott called, rushing out into the hallway. I looked back to the circle of black sand.

"It's called mountain ash." Deaton informed, noticing me staring at the circle. Deaton turned around to put his jars back into the cabinet while Derek began to head for the door.  "It comes from the mountain ash tree." I reached forward and curiously ran my finger over the mountain ash. 

"And this tree dust is supposed to help us catch something a—ow!" An electric shock ran from my fingertip and through my hand, causing me to quickly retract as they came in contact with the black substance. Deaton and Derek spun around to look at me, their eyes darting from the finger lines ruining the perfect circle of mountain ash and then to me. I glared at the mountain ash and to my fingers. Deaton skeptically cocked his head as he watched me rub my fingers tighter. 

"What was that?" He asked. 

"Table just shocked me." I shrugged off. I avoided Derek's gaze at all costs as I could see him staring at me, underlying confusion plastered on his face. He must have thought I was an idiot.

What else is new.

☾☾☾

Fog clouded the room as black and white strobe lights flashed in my vision, blinding me from seeing clearly. A sweet smell wafted up my nose. At first, it reminded me of a garden...of flowers my biological mother used to plant in our backyard. Before I could look around in search for any garden, my chest tightened. The kind of tight I could equate asthma to—like an elephant sitting on top of my lungs. Then my lungs started to burn--like a fire had broke out inside my chest. And that's when I noticed I couldn't breathe. My knees hit hard cement as I dropped to the ground, clutching my chest. My head whipped around in search for a door—a way out to fresh air. There was nothing but a foggy haze. My brain spun as I turned back around. My body finally crashed fully to the ground, every single organ burning as if I relived drowning all over again. My eyes focused on a red garment in front of me. And then to the owner wearing it. His eyes were left open, his chest still.

Full Moon ☾ Derek Haleजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें