Qualifying Story: A Clockwork Deception

Gearhaven, a bustling city where steam-powered contraptions roared through the streets and clockwork marvels adorned every corner, was home to a young inventor named Ethan. He was a gentle soul with an insatiable curiosity. He spent most days in his workshop tinkering with his creations .

However, one fateful day while Ethan was lost in his own thoughts, sipping on a cup of steaming coffee within the cozy confines of a local café called The Steam & Sprocket , he looked up from his sketchbook to find a gorgeous young woman reading a thick book about the Flat Earth theory. Intrigued by how engrossed she was with the words on the page and the animated way she spoke to herself, Ethan couldn't help but be captivated. 

Determined to make her notice him, Ethan hatched a daring plan. With trembling hands and rehearsed words, he approached her.

"Steam-filled salutations, my lady. I'm Ethan," he began, summoning his most confident smile. "I've been researching the Flat Earth theory recently, and I must say, it has some intriguing aspects. I'd love to discuss it further with you."

Amelia's eyes, as bright as polished brass, widened with delight. "Really?! Finally, someone who understands," but as she checked her watch she frowned. "I have an appointment soon, can we meet tomorrow at noon by the Clockwork Observatory?"

"I am free as a bird tomorrow," Ethan gulped. 

"Wonderful!" The young woman exclaimed while getting up to go. "Don't be late!"

Ethan's heart raced. "Wait!" He hadn't even asked her name and she was already almost out of his sight. "To whom do I make this lovely acquaintance?" He asked playfully.

"I'm Amelia." She smiled and Ethan's heart stopped. "Nice to meet you, Ethan." She waved. "I'll see you tomorrow," she said as she held up her book. 

As she turned around and walked out the door into the heart of Gearhaven, Ethan was left standing alone. Partly in shock for acquiring the date, a sinking feeling formed in his gut. He went back to his table to grab his sketchbook and all he could think about was how on this very round Earth, he was going to get through his date tomorrow with a straight face. 

He couldn't fathom how Amelia had forgotten the basic lessons of clock-keeping, and how the invention of clocks revolutionized science and became pivotal tools for studying the universe. Within the grand halls of the Clockwork Observatory, astronomers meticulously tracked the movements of celestial bodies with the aid of precise timepiece mechanisms. The consistent patterns, the celestial alignments, and the undeniable curvature of Earth's shadow during lunar eclipses all pointed to a profound truth. Clocks, with their steady hands and unwavering precision, became catalysts of knowledge, guiding minds toward the revelation that the Earth, just like the celestial bodies they studied, was a magnificent sphere suspended in the vastness of the cosmos.

Ethan suddenly panicked. He didn't know what he feared more, that he still was willing to meet Amelia and court her, or that he was willing to throw all reason out the window to be by her side. He realized he needed to get back to his workshop at once and study everything he could find on the Flat Earth community.