Chapter 44 - The Fish

Each day on the island felt longer and longer as they passed by. However, her newfound 'acquaintances' had made things a bit better. There seemed to rarely ever be a dull moment in this friend group, with each of them living dramatic and adventurous lives. Brooke was almost jealous of their bond-- she had only had that with her friend, Julia. It might have not seemed like it, but Brooke thought of her friend a lot. At this point in time, the old campers would have been bussed back home, newly scarred from their experiences at camp. Basically, scared straight. She remembered Julia saying that she wanted to do better, and Brooke hoped that she would.

The seven of them sat around a fire, playing games. Tonight's game was truth or dare. "John B, truth or dare?" Sarah asked.

"Truth," John B said, grabbing the hat they had made and placing it onto his head. He looked ridiculous-- but that was the point.

"If you could do it all again... what would you do different?" Sarah asked with a smile.

JJ spoke up, "Uh, get the gold out before Ward did."

"Maybe hide the cross a little better," Pope said after.

"Not yell 'murderer' at Ward, maybe," said Kiara.

"Steal a couple bottles of rum before we jumped off the boat," John B stated.

"Yeah, why didn't you do that actually?" JJ turned to his friend and asked.

John B shook his head, "I don't know, maybe because I was in a fight to the death?"

"I would have looked both ways before crossing the street," Joked Cleo, causing Sarah and John B to laugh the hardest.

"My bad, my bad," responded John B.

"What about you, Brooke?" Sarah raised her eyebrows at her new friend.

Brooke shrugged, "I probably wouldn't have held you all at gunpoint the first time I met you. Sorry about that, by the way."

"Oh, it's fine," JJ said. "You weren't the first, you probably won't be the last." Brooke rolled her eyes at his response.

"After all this time-- after all he put you through..." Pope began. "You wouldn't change anything about your relationship with Rafe?" Brooke averted her eyes from his as she stared into the fire, watching the flames waver.

She thought of the murderous, stealing boy who the people in front of her knew. The one who killed the sheriff and even tried to kill his sister. The unhinged kook who made their lives hell, especially Pope's. None of that really mattered to her. Yes, she cared that Rafe had done those things to other people-- but she knew why he did it. After observing their family dynamic for months now, she realized who the true monster was-- it was his father. And the kids in front of her should know that, especially Sarah. "No."

"Wow," Pope muttered.

Brooke shrugged, "His dad is the real villain here. You guys didn't see what I saw, okay? He's manipulative and he uses Rafe as a pawn." She turned to Sarah, making direct eye contact. "I'm not going to let him get away with that."

"You shouldn't," Sarah agreed.

It got quiet, leaving everyone in their thoughts

until someone spoke up. "Your turn chief," said Cleo.

"Alright, Kie, truth or dare?" John B turned to the girl.

She rolled her eyes as she responded, "truth."

"Alright. If you could go home to your parents' house on Figure Eight this instant... would you do it?"

She made eye contact with JJ, who sent her a knowing look. "No chance."