Chapter 21 : The Plan - Part 3

Brooke and Rafe walked far behind Robert as he went to his cabin, making sure to act inconspicuous as they trailed him. Since she had been here so long, Brooke practically knew the schedules of everyone who worked at the camp. They hid behind a bush, watching as Robert entered the cabin and shut the door behind him.

The two of them sat in silence for ten minutes, Brooke watching as Rafe played around with the key in his hands. When time was up, Brooke stood up onto her feet and smiled to Rafe. "Good luck, Cameron."

Rafe smirked back, "You too, Evans." He watched as she ran off towards the cabin and began to violently knock on the door. A disgruntled Robert answered the door and his scowl deepened as he realized who was at his door.

"What?" He asked her. "I was in the middle of a nap."

Brooke put on her most concerned expression, "There's two boys fighting in the woods by the dining hall. It's pretty bad."

Robert sighed and rolled his eyes, "Miss Evans, the next time you knock on my door like that I expect it to be important." Her eyes widened as he began to close the door on her.

She held out her arm to stop the door as she winced. "The cops have already been here this week. What do you think happens if they show up again?"

Robert let out a disgruntled sigh yet again, "Fine. Come with me and show me where this is happening." Brooke tried to hide her smile as she began to lead him away from the cabin.

It was Rafe's turn. The boy rushed towards the cabin as he tried to avoid anyone from seeing him. Going into a counselor's room was forbidden, and he could only imagine what they'd do to him if he was found breaking in. He put the key into the lock, turning it slightly and rushing into the room as he locked it behind him. The counselor rooms were pretty small, so he wouldn't have too much ground to cover. He looked everywhere, moving the covers of the unmade bed around and checking inside of his drawers-- the keys were nowhere to be found.

Brooke was having similar luck. They had walked to their destination quicker than she thought, so she was attempting to stall. Robert sent her a questioning look as she stopped walking. "I'm sorry," she said. "My concussion affects how I walk sometimes. My head is killing me."

"Save it for someone who cares," Robert said underneath his breath. "Maybe we should take you to the infirmary."

"No," she said quickly. "You need to find the fighting boys."

"Well, they're clearly not here," Robert stated.

Brooke motioned around, "There's a lot of ground to cover. They've got to be around here somewhere."

Robert shook his head, "Run along. They don't pay me nearly enough to sit around and try to find fighting children." Robert spun around and a reflection off of metal shining from his back pocket caught her eye. She stared in despair towards his back pocket where his car keys had been sticking out of. Anxiety built up in her chest as she realized that Rafe was looking for keys that weren't even there.

"I have to go back this way anyways," she said as she walked beside him.

He shook his head, "Wonderful."

She walked beside him but behind a few steps, waiting for the perfect chance to try to grab the keys. She was terrified that he might catch her-- or worse, he might think she was trying to touch his butt.

She leaned her arm over as soon as she noticed him looking in the opposite direction. She moved the key upwards slightly but pulled away as soon as Robert turned back to looking ahead. Her heart began to race as she realized that she may not be able to get the keys. They may not be able to escape.