Chapter 2: Her Best Friend

Brooke sat on a picnic bench, watching as the two yellow school buses rolled through the small trail and onto Blue Ridge property. Today was the day that everything at Blue Ridge would change. These two buses were filled with teenagers, ages ranging from sixteen to twenty-two. Each of these individuals had their own issues that their parents or loved ones hoped that Blue Ridge Wilderness Therapy Camp would solve. Whether it was addiction or mental illness, Brooke knew from experience that these teenagers and adults would go home suppressing their issues until they later explode and end up on the same bus back to the same therapy camp. Brooke was present to see the cycle happen every few months, and today was no exception.

Brooke furrowed her brows in confusion as she watched a counselor step off the bus. The girl wearing the red shirt looked familiar, had brown hair that barely passed her shoulders along with dark brown eyes. Brooke realized quickly that she was looking at a former camper who had transformed into a counselor. Madison was a camper a year ago, had suffered from depression and anxiety before being stretchered out of the camp after she had a near-death experience, almost drowning herself. After that, Madison had never returned to camp- until now, apparently. The reason why someone who faced an event so extremely traumatizing would go back to the source was unknown to Brooke, who would never come back to this place if she were ever able to get out.

Following close behind her was a short blonde who made her presence known due to the metal handcuffs around her wrists. That's another thing about this place- they take you from your parents kicking and screaming no matter what. Brooke smiled, noticing that this blonde was also a former Rogue member and one of Brooke's better friends. Brooke and Julia had met when they were both sixteen, the two girls both experiencing Blue Ridge for the first time. Julia was about five feet tall with long blonde hair and blue eyes. She was a skinny girl with the figure of a model. Julia gave Madison a dirty look, motioning towards her handcuffs. While Madison took the key from her pocket and unlocked them, Julia finally noticed Brooke staring back at her.

"Brooke Evans, I thought I'd never see you again," said Julia, her face lighting up. Julia thanked Madison briefly before once again sending her a death glare. Brooke walked over to Julia, engulfing her long-lost friend into a hug.

"C'mon Jules, you know my ass is here until I'm aged out," Brooke remarked back. Julia laughed quietly, feeling bad for the girl. Julia was lucky enough that her family cared- Brooke had nobody.

"Freaking Madison put me in handcuffs," Julia stated. "You should see how much that girl changed, she's on a power trip if I've ever seen one." Julia and Brooke turned around to look at Madison who simply glared at them.

"Who peed in her cheerios?" Brooke asked and Julia shrugged. "So why the hell are you back here?"

Julia sighed, "C'mon, Brooke. You know how it is. You steal one little candy bar and all of the sudden you're a felon."

Brooke chuckled, "Yeah, one candy bar?" She laughed again as the girl illustrated a guilty look on her face.

"Okay, so maybe the candy bar was in a women's purse that I was stealing from," Julia finally fessed up.

"You're a fucking idiot," Brooke laughed.

"Maybe," Said Julia. "But you really should be thanking me. Now I get to make your next few months more interesting."

"And how do you plan to do that?" Brooke eyed her friend, who shrugged innocently.

"Boys, obviously," She began. Brooke opened her mouth to speak but was cut off by Julia. "I know, I know. 'Finding boys at camp is worthless.' Live a little!"

Brooke shook her head, "Living is the last thing I want to do when I'm here."

Julia sighed, "Oh, kill the pity party. You have got to see the kid who I was sitting behind on the bus. He was so fine!" Julia exclaimed. Julia was the type of person that could find the good in every situation, especially when it involves boys. Julia was extremely sporadic and carefree, nobody able to predict her next move.

"C'mon Julia, you know how things are here. Boys to the west wing, girls to the east wing. Don't waste your time," Brooke explained. At Blue Ridge, boys and girls were once forbidden from intermingling. However, a recent change in ownership caused the boys and girls to be once again allowed to hang out and be in the same activity groups. Even despite this change, the boys and girls slept in completely different cabins and were separated by half a mile.

"But Brooke, he was so hot. And not to mention, he's probably mentally ill. That just makes him hotter," stated Julia excitedly.

"Do you hear yourself?" Brooke asked lightheartedly. "Where is Romeo anyways?" Julia pointed over to the bus as the boy stepped out of it. He stood on the grass by the bus stairs for a moment, looking around for a familiar face. However, the boy knew he couldn't find one- he was alone from the moment he stepped onto the bus.

"He's just a boy," stated Brooke, not wanting to prove Julia right. The boy in front of her was insanely tall, towering over her five-foot four self. He had fluffy light brown hair that he ran his fingers through lightly enough to barely move his hair. The boy surveyed the area, finally looking over to where Brooke and Julia were standing, watching him. Brooke turned away quickly, focusing her eyes back onto the floor as she felt her face heat up knowing the boy had caught her checking him out from head to toe.

"Now after you have undressed him with your eyes, would you like a name?" Julia asked.

Brooke looked back at her, "Shut the hell up."

Madison, about six feet away from the two girls, whipped her body around and scowled at the two girls, "Language!" Brooke muttered a sorry before turning back to Julia who was smiling at her.

"For non-sexual purposes, what's his name?" Brooke asked.

"Heard it during roll call. His name is Rafe Cameron," Julia explained.

Brooke furrowed her eyebrows, "What kind of parents with one of the most generic last names call their child Rafe?"

Julia laughed, "Girl, who cares. He could be named," Julia stopped talking for a moment, leaning into Brooke's ear, whispering, "dogshit for all I care." Julia backed away from Brooke, "He's hot, and I like him now. I'm going to make him my problem this year."

"You mean you're going to be his problem?" began Brooke. "You know, you could actually try the therapy that they offer and hope it fixes you?" The two girls began to laugh, knowing that nothing would help them or any of the other incoming campers. They were doomed once they stepped onto the bus.

"You're funny," stated Julia. Madison and the other councilors began to round up the campers, walking them towards the dining hall. There, the group would experience their only good lunch, as it all goes downhill from here.

Brooke and Julia walked next to each other, "Eat good tonight buddy. You won't see another good meal for months," stated Brooke.