Chapter 28 - Father Dearest

Brooke and Rafe arrived back at his mansion. He walked in before her, completely expecting his father to be waiting for him. Ward didn't know that Brooke was in town, and he certainly didn't know she'd be staying with them for the foreseeable future— especially if Rafe had anything to say about it.

When they walked in, all of the lights were off. There were mumblings about a storm throughout the area, but it didn't seem to be too crazy. Rafe switched on a light, watching as Brooke stared out the kitchen window towards the water. She watched as the giant waves, presumably large because of the storm, crashed up against the dock.

Rafe walked up behind her, placing his hands on her hips and kissing her cheek. "I don't think I've said this," he began as she turned her neck to look at him. "Despite all of the shit... I'm really glad you're here."

She turned her body and reached forward, caressing his face as he watched her with a smile. Perhaps it was part of the illness, but Brooke couldn't believe how quickly Rafe's demeanor changed. One minute he was terrified of being pushed around by Barry or yelling because the pogues got the best of him. And then, he transformed back into the boy that Brooke remembered. "I'm glad I'm here with you," she said, kissing his lips gently.

"I missed you so much," he began. "I know we were only separated for so long but it felt— uh, it felt like forever," he said.

She nodded, "being with you was like a daily routine. When you were gone, I didn't know what to do, how to act."

"I was pissed when my dad came to take me home," he chuckled to himself. "It's funny, I spent so much time... waiting to leave and— and— so much time planning on how to leave. And when I finally left... I realized that it was never only about getting out of there. It was about being able to leave with you."

"I'm here now," she said, a smile growing on her lips. "We're together now. And nothing is going to happen to us." He placed his hands back on her hips.

"Let's go to my room," he said. "I'm kinda exhausted."

Brooke spoke before she could think about her words, "getting beat up will do that to you." Rafe turned back to her almost as soon as he began walking away, glaring towards her. "Sorry," she cringed at herself.

"Just c'mon," he said, shaking his head as he led her up the stairs. Brooke grabbed onto his hand as they walked up together and soon settled into his room.

"Did you bring anything with you?" Rafe asked her. She grabbed the bag that she had brought with her and dumped it out onto the bed. Out fell a few shirts and pants, along with shorts.

"This is what my life is worth," she said. "I brought my camp shirt if you want me to walk around wearing that."

"Hilarious," he grunted. He walked up to his dresser and pushed around some clothes. "You can put your stuff in here."

"Are we sharing a room now, Cameron?" She asked. "I don't think your parents will approve."

"I don't care," he said. "My dad won't even notice you're here. He's probably too busy following Sarah around."

Brooke nodded, "I wouldn't mind staying unnoticed as long as I get to stay in this house," she laughed as she looked around his room. He not only had his own bathroom, but his room was connected to a huge outdoor balcony. "I mean, seriously Rafe, I have never seen houses this big."

"It's alright," he said. "I've seen bigger."

Brooke choked back a giggle, "that's what she said." As he rolled his eyes, she spoke again. "I'm just saying."

"You're adorable," he said. "But you make some shit ass jokes sometimes."

"I do not!" She defended.

He shook his head, "Yes you do."